An Example of How Not to Market Your Business

hausdok

If you've ever heard how the internet is dumbing down America, but weren't sure what it all meant, check out the linked press release. It's obviously written by a home inspector who's never written anything (intelligible) in his life and it actually made my scalp hurt to read it.

Inspectors, please don't do this. If you want to issue a press release, hire a pro to write it for you. If you can't afford to do that, at least stop by your old elementary school, find your fifth grade teacher, tell him/her what you want to say and beg your teacher to write it for you.

For the most painful read of the month, click here.

If you've ever heard how the internet is dumbing down America, but weren't sure what it all meant, check out the linked press release. It's obviously written by a home inspector...

I doubt that. It just doesn't match the site at equityinspections.com. I can't quite figure out what PR-USA is, but my money is on the piece being written by someone on the Indian subcontinent to promote or, more likely, practice their English writing skills. We've had some of those here.

If you've ever heard how the internet is dumbing down America, but weren't sure what it all meant, check out the linked press release. It's obviously written by a home inspector...

I doubt that. It just doesn't match the site at equityinspections.com. I can't quite figure out what PR-USA is, but my money is on the piece being written by someone on the Indian subcontinent to promote or, more likely, practice their English writing skills. We've had some of those here.

You might be right, but a visit to his blog revealed this on the main page:

"As utility cost rise everyone is looking for was to save on their energy bills. The internet, the daily paper and magazines all have tips for reducing your energy usage and expenses. These little bits of energy saving insight are great advice, but are no substitute for a professional energy audit".

This one sounds like it's from the same person.

click here

Ah! See, there you go, India. It must be some sort of language class exercise. I tried to e-mail Michael Boeger from his site, as I thought he might be amused, but his contact e-mail page seems to be totally screwed up. I got a thank you page from some company in England. Odd!

You guys actually read that? My head hurt after the first sentence. In addition to hiring a writer I'd add a web designer to the list, the page asthetic as as bad as the text.

Mike, you might want to rethink the elementary school as a writing resource. You wouldn't believe some of the written material that comes from my son's school. It doesn't matter if it's the principal, the super, the teachers or the PTA. It's a wonder these kids can read and write at all when you see the faculty's proficiency.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that is pretty crappy.

I think the writer is trying to maximize SEO by repeatedly using the words Torrance Certified Home Inspector.

Paste Torrance Certified Home Inspector into a google search and see what comes up.

Thats exactly what they are "trying" to do, but it looks like keyword stuffing to the max to me. Big time no-no. That will only get you dinged by all the almighty (Google). The page is still listed with a PR of 0, so it must not be working.[:)]

• 3 months later...