Davy Crockett

Had a friend email me that he and a bunch of other guys in Central CA got ringworm from faulty tanning procedures of their new coonskin caps.... sounds like the contractor cuts some corners to meet the production time.... wow, nothings changed...... guess the MACC 'Mothers Against Coon Caps" got them straightened out though....hmmmm

Had a friend email me that he and a bunch of other guys in Central CA got ringworm from faulty tanning procedures of their new coonskin caps.... sounds like the contractor cuts some corners to meet the production time.... wow, nothings changed...... guess the MACC 'Mothers Against Coon Caps" got them straightened out though....hmmmm

Somebody's pullin' your leg thar, paleface. All the coonskins I ever saw were plastic, just like the rifle and the knife. [:)]

Somebody's pullin' your leg thar, paleface. All the coonskins I ever saw were plastic, just like the rifle and the knife. [:)]

sorry Hawkeye.... mine was genuine leather, no plastic in my cap, didn't know they made plastic ones.... that's unAmerican .... Davy woulda shot off there hangy thing

Paleface

They say they go in "Three's"......

We had Peter Graves and Fess Parker this week..

Both top notch folks.

On top of all the other things Peter Graves did, he narrated a ton of audio books including James Michner's Alaska and Texas. I probably own about 200 books on CD, which is what I do on the way to inspections, listen to books. Peter Graves was an outstanding reader. His inflections and pauses were always perfect and priceless, adding to the whole experience. He helped the words become a mentally visual experience.

Fess Parker, I actually saw in, of all things, a musical, in which he was completely out of his element - can't sing. Still love him though, and like Kurt, I also owned a coon skin hat, which heaven only knows where it ended up.

Two truly fine gentlemen...

sorry Hawkeye.... mine was genuine leather, no plastic in my cap, didn't know they made plastic ones.... that's unAmerican .... Davy woulda shot off there hangy thing

Paleface

Real coonskin? Reckon I'd be jealous. http://crockettcoonskincaps.tripod.com/smiley.html

I carved my own Bowie knife, cut my left index finger to the bone with my mom's butcher knife, still got the scar. RIP, Davy.

Couldn't afford the toys. They could afford the bullet (or maybe just hit it with a car) and had an uncle that did hide tanning and such. Real hat, real powder horn (cow horns were easy to come by in northwest Nebraska), real butcher knife (momma always wondered where it went), but, somehow, I did eventually get a plastic long rifle. Guess I wasn't quite ready for the real thing yet.

-

Paleface

Real coonskin? Reckon I'd be jealous. http://crockettcoonskincaps.tripod.com/smiley.html

I carved my own Bowie knife, cut my left index finger to the bone with my mom's butcher knife, still got the scar. RIP, Davy.

In the now famous words of Carl Malden, "Age has it's priveledges." (or was that "membership" Well, you know what I mean...) (1951) here and still climbin' roofs and slithering crawlspaces for a few more years anyway. It was probably a rabbit skin cap fashioned to look like a coon skin hat. I would have never known the difference, other than it was real fur. It's rather hard to imagine racoons all lined up in cages looking at the coonskin hat making machinery awaiting their fate. The good news, though - it all happened prior to PETA and hence, a handful of us enjoy a childhood memory that can never be repeated. And, Disney and Fess Parker made it all happen.