Weird stain on exterior brick by AC

Erby

??? The only way the stain makes sense (to me) in relation to the AC unit is if the fan was running in reverse, sucking down and blowing out the sides. Then it might be a warmth loving mold(?). BTW...is that just sitting on the dirt?

One other WAG would be a leak in the pressure line "misting" the wall.

And then it could be something totally unrelated that was sprayed on the wall before the AC was installed just to confuse future home inspectors.

"Weird stain on wall. Inspector not know why. Have HVAC guy check it out." Sometimes you just have to punt.

Looks like a new(er) condensing unit. I wonder what was there before. My split system, for the master bedroom, has a condensing unit that draws air in the front and discharges out the rear but I don't see why air blowing on the exterior would cause a stain.

Acid cleaning an older condensing unit? Stuff we use to clean them with was pretty nasty.

I'd go with Terry...some condenser coil cleaners will quickly etch your glasses or dissolve away skin tissue if you're not very careful. My guess is that some overspray hit the wall during a coil cleaning service call by a careless tech.

Marc

It is most likely an oil stain from the A/C. Oil will blow out with the refrigerant (usually high side) when the tech either cut the lines when the old A/C was changed out or the had a service hose break. Any large loss of refrigerant will cause this.

Try spaying a test spot with a degreaser or soap to see if it will come off.

It is most likely an oil stain from the A/C. Oil will blow out with the refrigerant (usually high side) when the tech either cut the lines when the old A/C was changed out or the had a service hose break. Any large loss of refrigerant will cause this.

Try spaying a test spot with a degreaser or soap to see if it will come off.

Even a major leak will not blow that much oil out. Even though oil tends to migrate throughout the refrigerant lines the majority will stay in the compressor. Good guess though.

I think it's a cold spot on the bricks, cold enough to cause condensation.

You guys call them AC units, we call them heat pumps. [:)]

The "heat pump" is dumping cold air against the wall.

interesting: we call units that put out conditioned cool air only 'a/c'; a unit that can run in reverse to produce either heat or cool a 'heat pump'

I think it's a cold spot on the bricks, cold enough to cause condensation.

You guys call them AC units, we call them heat pumps. [:)]

The "heat pump" is dumping cold air against the wall.

interesting: we call units that put out conditioned cool air only 'a/c'; a unit that can run in reverse to produce either heat or cool a 'heat pump'

Yeah, I meant that as a joke. We see a lot of heat pumps, but rarely an AC only unit. Different climate.

Anyway, if that unit in Erby's pic is AC only, I don't have a clue. [:)]