Advice On Correct Report Wording

Terence McCann

The dishwasher is missing.

Replace the dishwasher.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Is that grammatically correct?

If something is missing, can you replace "it"? I know what you mean and it's understandable, but is it accurate to replace something that isn't there?

Yes, I'm being a wiener, sort of.........

It's clearly grammatically correct. There might be some debate about whether or not it's logically correct.

I find it perfectly clear, but the fact that you, or anyone, would question it, means that it needs to be clearer.

The dishwasher is missing.

Install a new dishwasher.

The recommendation is, of course, obvious. I include it as a preference, not a necessity.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There's something about the home that's just not right. I sense a general malaise; a sadness, an emptiness. Perhaps it was a past filled with inadequacies and maltreatment, an uncaring owner that just took, took, took and never gave, never allowed the house to develop a sense of pride- the dignity and self esteem that only love and proper maintenance can instill.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there's definitely a hole that needs to be filled.

Either that or I wouldn't mention it at all unless my client was buying the place sight unseen.

There's something about the home that's just not right. I sense a general malaise; a sadness, an emptiness. Perhaps it was a past filled with inadequacies and maltreatment, an uncaring owner that just took, took, took and never gave, never allowed the house to develop a sense of pride- the dignity and self esteem that only love and proper maintenance can instill.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there's definitely a hole that needs to be filled.

Either that or I wouldn't mention it at all unless my client was buying the place sight unseen.

That was truly the most moving and Summary worthy report comment I've ever read... [:-weepn] It cries for a subtitle... "Gone With the Wind" perhaps?

I think that's it. It sounded odd, which was more about logic than grammar. It wasn't about understanding, because of course I know what you meant, but it doesn't sound right.

For Chad's house, I have a therapy division of my business, where distressed properties can meet, talk, and understand they're not alone.

Beats any summary I've ever done. Dang, you make me feel bad.[;)]

Marc

Alright smart guy - I get the message. [:-paperba

Here in Richmond, I've pulled up on some foreclosures where they took the condensing unit and all the copper pipes too. [:-bigeyes

An average residential condenser unit brings about 30 bucks at the salvage yard. Might be different elsewhere.

Marc

That's a lot of work for $30. It would be easier to get a job.

I was the contractor on a 203k house where the previous owners took or broke all sorts of stuff. They took all the interior doors, the front door, several of the window sash. There were holes in the walls, chunks cut from the carpets and the hardwood floors. The best, or worst, was that they took a chainsaw to the back of the house so they could get the cast iron tub out.

Use a chisel to blow off the screws that hold the condenser unit housing in place. Put your sawzall blade on the coil side of the metal plates that are on each side of the coils. The salvage yard doesn't allow all those little brazed connections anyway. Take the coil pieces out then sawzall all copper, conduit and wiring off of the compressor. Take everything to the salvage yard. They'll separate it into three lots with a different price per pound for each. I can tear down a 5 ton condenser in about 20 minutes. Do the dismantling in the bed of a flat trailer and take the trailer just like that to the salvage yard. There's the ritualistic stop at the convenience store on the way back for some cold ones, though I skip that part these days.

Marc

Use a chisel to blow off the screws that hold the condenser unit housing in place. Put your sawzall blade on the coil side of the metal plates that are on each side of the coils. The salvage yard doesn't allow all those little brazed connections anyway. Take the coil pieces out then sawzall all copper, conduit and wiring off of the compressor. Take everything to the salvage yard. They'll separate it into three lots with a different price per pound for each. I can tear down a 5 ton condenser in about 20 minutes. Do the dismantling in the bed of a flat trailer and take the trailer just like that to the salvage yard. There's the ritualistic stop at the convenience store on the way back for some cold ones, though I skip that part these days.

Marc

So, how many of these things do you "reclaim" in a week. [:-monkeyd

Hi,

I'm with Kurt but I take it further; I don't write it unless there's physical evidence of some sort to indicate there was one there that's just been removed; something like a cut discharge pipe or dangling supply line or a bunch of dirt and crap with the clear imprint of four levelers and water stains. I use those indications as the lead in for the comment and proof that there used to be one there. I don't need to tell them to replace it, that's their own decision; they just need to know that there used to be one installed and it's been taken out; so they can make up their own mind.

If it's just a clean hole with nothing to indicate there had ever been a dishwasher there I wouldn't even mention it. Why would I? I'm only required to report on my observations of installed components and without proof that one had been installed there is nothing to report.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike