RecallChek Alert

I started a new post for this information.

When you submit information to RecallChek they ask for the home buyers email, as well as yours, to send the recall check information. I have never sent out my buyers email and always put my other email address in it's place. Upon receiving the information I would forward the email to my client.

Well... got an email from RecallChek, intended for my buyer, hawking RecallTrak. Below is from the email:

Greetings!

Each year home fires occur due to hazardous appliances that could have been prevented free, to the home owner, if only they had known the appliance was under recall. Since appliance manufacturers are only obligated to report their recalls to the CPSC and not directly to the consumer, millions of recalled appliances go unnoticed and unresolved each year, posing a significant threat to households accross the nation. If you would like to know about these dangerous recalls the day they come out and how to get them fixed for free, then sign up for RecallTrak today and keep your family and your home safe from these preventable hazards.

Don't know what RecallTrak is? Interested in the ultimate protection against recalled appliances? Read on.

Needless to say I'm pretty hot. I'm going to call them today and become the little black cloud on their picnic. I'm going to alert 3D. I also plan to stop using their service. Burn me once.....

Be careful with your clients information.

Needless to say I'm pretty hot. I'm going to call them today and become the little black cloud on their picnic. I'm going to alert 3D. I also plan to stop using their service. Burn me once.....

Actually, I don't see why you're upset.

Marc

Actually, I don't see why you're upset.

Marc

Because: 1. I never gave them permission to contact my client. 2. My client may not want the spam and may be upset that I gave out their email address without permission. 3. I don't want them gold-mining off my work. If you want customers hire someone to cold call.

I agree, they shouldn't be mining Terry's client list for addresses.

I see where they are going; they realize that as soon as an inspector signs up to use their service and starts to talk about it, someone in the business is going to say to the inspector, "Why the hell would you pay for that when you can get it free from Recalls.gov?" and the inspector will cancel his subscription or whatever it is. If they can get an email address for the client, they have a better chance of continuing that relationship with a non-home inspector that's not likely to know about recalls.gov. Then all they need is for that non-inspector to tell a friend about RecallTrak and so on and so on and it goes almost viral.

They get their foot in the door by going through the inspector so, though it is spam, they can deny that they are spamming anyone.

Lately I've been putting some clients to work on their fancy new internet-capable phones tracking down whether or not their appliances have been recalled. I show 'em where the model numbers and serial numbers are and tell 'em to dial up recalls.gov and let me know if the appliances are recalled or not so I can stick it in the report. They're always like, "Oh wow, I didn't even know there was such a site. Kewl! I'm going to check all of my stuff at home when I go home later."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I see where they are going; they realize that as soon as an inspector signs up to use their service and starts to talk about it, someone in the business is going to say to the inspector, "Why the hell would you pay for that when you can get it free from Recalls.gov?" and the inspector will cancel his subscription or whatever it is. If they can get an email address for the client, they have a better chance of continuing that relationship with a non-home inspector that's not likely to know about recalls.gov. Then all they need is for that non-inspector to tell a friend about RecallTrak and so on and so on and it goes almost viral.

Yup.

They have a nice format for informing clients about possible recalls and, being such, I thought it was an added benefit to doing business with our company however they crossed the line. It is a pretty slick marketing scheme though - get the home inspector to pay for the service, gold-mine his clients email address then go direct to the client to up-sell. Very good. Clever you.

It reminds me of Brinks shenanigans when they were romancing home inspectors to be their sales force for their security systems. When your doing your home inspection hawk our security system and if it turns into a sale we will give you a kickback. Umm....... sorry, you'll have to pay someone to cold call. What a scam.

• 3 months later...

Hey all- this is P. Nathan Thornberry from RWS and I wanted to address this thread about RecallChek. Just so you all know, we are NOT soliciting an extended version of RecallChek- we did test it once with little response, so we decided to just give it away for free to all of your clients. FOR LIFE.

So, if that's your only objection, you should strongly consider going to inspectors.recallchek.com and clicking "Sign Up." Agents love it and buyers choose home inspectors because of it.

You can always call our office with any questions at 1-800-544-8156.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011112181646_nathan.jpg

15.29 KB

P. Nathan Thornberry -

Why doesn't the "about" link work at your website?

What is your company's DNA? Who is the parent and baseline support?

I see you have HI association logos that would indicate you are 'affiliated' with such.

How deep does that association go with each of those organizations? In particular Nachi?

I looked at the ADT/RHW/RecallCheck and after really looking at the pages and pages of the contract and what the implications might be with the entire thing, I decided not to do it. In the long run the home inspector is being used to generate sales leads for ADT and the home inspector gets the short end of the stick and does the majority of the footwork for the dangling of the little carrot.

It just did not have a good feel about it, so opted not to do it.

I don't like any web based service that won't tell you the fees on the website. Including inspectors.

No way I'm putting my fees out on my website. We'll discuss that when I have some information about the house with an opportunity to talk to you, sell my service, and close the deal over the phone.

Price shoppers never need to call when you when you list prices on the web. Sales 101 You might me missing some biz.

I don't like any web based service that won't tell you the fees on the website. Including inspectors.

Price shoppers never need to call when you when you list prices on the web. Sales 101 You might me missing some biz.

EXACTLY! Now you're getting it!

Yeah but, I don't think you did.

Think about who you're more inclined to hire. A price off of a web site or someone you talked to and were comfortable with?

Everyone price shops. Everyone. I take the same calls you do. "How much?"

I ignore that question and find out who I'm dealing with, what their expectations, wants and concerns are, and talk to them like people. I usually don't have much of a problem booking an appointment once we've established a common ground. People don't buy prices.

You can't do that if you never get the chance.

Agents love it and buyers choose home inspectors because of it.

That's one of the most specious comments I've ever seen posted on this site.

What other interesting "facts" have you made up for us?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If you like that, you'll love this one.

Google Mountainassociation and check it out on P.T's site.

As a side note; did P.T. have a brother?

CBS had the right title years ago- "The Fleecing of America"