Still Think New Homes Don't Need An Inspection?

hausdok

That beats anything I've seen in new construction.

My family moved into a new HUD Code when I started high school. I was the first one to flush the toilet in the hall bath and when I did so, a cloud of steam rose from the bowl. It was connected to the hot water supply!

Marc

That beats anything I've seen in new construction.

My family moved into a new HUD Code when I started high school. I was the first one to flush the toilet in the hall bath and when I did so, a cloud of steam rose from the bowl. It was connected to the hot water supply!

Marc

That is not a far second.[:-monkeyd

At first glance, that 's pretty funny. Actually, at second glance it still is. However, all it would take to fix it would be to remove 9 screws and rehang the door in front of the throne.

Noonetheless, I've seen a lot of really stupid stuff in new homes. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here's one of the more obvious ones.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010102020139_Fgallery7-1.jpg

120.34 KB

At first glance, that 's pretty funny. Actually, at second glance it still is. However, all it would take to fix it would be to remove 9 screws and rehang the door in front of the throne.

Or 3 hinge pins[:-monkeyd

Noonetheless, I've seen a lot of really stupid stuff in new homes. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here's one of the more obvious ones.

Click to Enlarge

120.34 KB

That's funny, and so very sad too.

Or 3 hinge pins[:-monkeyd

Click to Enlarge

120.34 KB

That's funny, and so very sad too.

I found the missing plumbing stack on a 3 year old home once. It was a steep roof on a steep slope, and I almost passed on climbing up to the ridge to take a peak at the far side of the roof. Finding that made my day.

No evidence of damage to the ceiling, maybe evaporation was taking care of it. There was no plumbing anywhere near were the roofers had put the jack, so a change of floor plans, most likely.

My most amazing new home blunder: I inspected a four year old home. The sellers had the home built. The attic was almost impossible to get into. It had to be entered from a hatch in the garage ceiling, which was up about sixteen feet in the air. Then, the main attic could only be accessed through a hole from the garage attic. An inspection of both attics revealed that the poor home owners had been heating and cooling a 4000 SF house for four years with no ceiling insulation - just a half inch of Sheetrock between them and unconditioned space. I was stupefied, and the home sellers were furious.

My most amazing new home blunder: I inspected a four year old home. The sellers had the home built. The attic was almost impossible to get into. It had to be entered from a hatch in the garage ceiling, which was up about sixteen feet in the air. Then, the main attic could only be accessed through a hole from the garage attic. An inspection of both attics revealed that the poor home owners had been heating and cooling a 4000 SF house for four years with no ceiling insulation - just a half inch of Sheetrock between them and unconditioned space. I was stupefied, and the home sellers were furious.

I ran into the same thing on a new home. At least in my case, it was only the lower attic they forgot to insulate, not the whole thing!

I had a new town home, went to lift the attic access panel (in the bathroom) and it wouldn't budge, figured it was painted in. Took a knife and cut the paint, still wouldn't budge. The job super was there, he said to let him try. He couldn't budge it so he put his fist through it. The carpenter (at least he was paid to be a carpenter) had just put trim in a square on the bathroom ceiling with no opening. Once we could see in the attic, no insulation!

I had a new town home, went to lift the attic access panel (in the bathroom) and it wouldn't budge, figured it was painted in. Took a knife and cut the paint, still wouldn't budge. The job super was there, he said to let him try. He couldn't budge it so he put his fist through it. The carpenter (at least he was paid to be a carpenter) had just put trim in a square on the bathroom ceiling with no opening. Once we could see in the attic, no insulation!

Which probably means none of the homes in the complex has insulation over the ceilings. Right?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Must have been stolen.