Odor at one bathroom

Robert Jones

So today's inspection was a 1966 home, rambler with full/completed basement. The water that was coming out of the basement bathroom fixtures stunk horribly. My initial thought was the anodize rod in the electric water heater, but all of the other fixtures in the home did not have this odor. What else could it be?

Also, anyone wanna take a stab at ageing this water heater? 2000? It is an A.O. Smith. I did look at the decoder, just didn't make sense for this one.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201012120634_IMGP0875%20(Medium).jpg

36.48 KB

So today's inspection was a 1966 home, rambler with full/completed basement. The water that was coming out of the basement bathroom fixtures stunk horribly. My initial thought was the anodize rod in the electric water heater, but all of the other fixtures in the home did not have this odor. What else could it be?

Also, anyone wanna take a stab at ageing this water heater? 2000? It is an A.O. Smith. I did look at the decoder, just didn't make sense for this one.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201012120634_IMGP0875%20(Medium).jpg

36.48 KB

Stagnation?

Marc

Strike that last. Seen the changes I added to the chart? They changed their dating method in 2008 when they bought State. Now the State plant is making most of their residential product and they are using State's numbering method. The first two digits are the year and the second two are the week. That's 37th week of 2010.

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... oto&id=131

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Strike that last. Seen the changes I added to the chart? They changed their dating method in 2008 when they bought State. Now the State plant is making most of their residential product and they are using State's numbering method. The first two digits are the year and the second two are the week. That's 37th week of 2010.

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... oto&id=131

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Your chart says two digit year followed by two digit Month, not week. Is this a mistake?

So today's inspection was a 1966 home, rambler with full/completed basement. The water that was coming out of the basement bathroom fixtures stunk horribly. My initial thought was the anodize rod in the electric water heater, but all of the other fixtures in the home did not have this odor. What else could it be? . . .

If you're talking about the sink, the stink could be coming from the overflow channel or, perhaps, something nasty in the traps. They sometimes stink to high heaven.

If the smell was coming from the water itself and only in the basement bathroom, then you were hallucinating.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I wish I could have been hallucinating Jim. I even had the buyer's wife come down for a whiff and she about gagged. I know for sure it was the water in the shower and sink, I didn't stick my head in the toilet so can't speak to that one. I went back upstairs to check the main floor bathroom again, and didn't notice anything there. I wanted to call the water heater anode, but all of the water would stink if it were that. Not sure how long the home has been vacant.

I wish I could have been hallucinating Jim. I even had the buyer's wife come down for a whiff and she about gagged. I know for sure it was the water in the shower and sink, I didn't stick my head in the toilet so can't speak to that one. I went back upstairs to check the main floor bathroom again, and didn't notice anything there. I wanted to call the water heater anode, but all of the water would stink if it were that. Not sure how long the home has been vacant.

Mass hallucinations. Very bad.

Are you sure that the smell wasn't rising out of the traps & overflows when the water ran?

Simple Experiment: Run the water, smell the odor, collect a sample in a container w/ a quickly sealable top. Take the sample away from the area and smell it. If you use a sterile (health department style - water test) collection container, you could send it off for a more scientific 'sniffing.'