Resurrecting the champ

A few months ago I bought this old beauty from an old man who says he can't make anymore sawdust. He "restored" it, or so he says. After I get it home and start to really look it over. His restore job is crap and I can't live with that. I've now got it stripped down, re-powdercoating the guts, and polishing every bit to a mirror shine. I hope to have her done in a few months and back into action.

If any of you boys remember shop class from high school, you'll remember the daddy. POWERMATIC Model 66. 3hp - Date code 1967.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201116205538_DSCN3355.jpg

53.25 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201116205734_DSCN3369.jpg

51.04 KB

If you want to make that really good saw into a great saw, replace the v-belts with serpentine or cogged belts. It virtually eliminates vibration.

Also get a dial indicator and check the play in the arbor and make sure the blade spins true. Some of those old saws require a trip to a machinist to get holes reamed out and sleeves installed or to have new shafts made to replace worn ones. You'll also need to check the flatness of the table.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Done! I have to say, I enjoyed rebuilding the machine just as much as I enjoy using it. I may start trying to salvage old machines as a hobby....

Here's a few pics of the process. I stripped it down to a raw shell, sandblasted it, and sprayed a new coat of something from SW called DTM (Direct to Metal). Good paint, but takes a good 2 weeks to get hard.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20113885936_DSCN3376.jpg

44.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011389022_DSCN3416.jpg

35.53 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201138916_DSCN3472.jpg

37.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011389211_DSCN3484.jpg

50.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011389248_DSCN3721.jpg

51.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011389434_DSCN3716.jpg

49.31 KB

Thanks Kurt. Funny you should say something about a PM bandsaw. Put your inspectors goggles on and take a look at my first post, second pic, to the right of the tool box. I've got a mid 60's PM 141 14" bandsaw just waiting for me. But I've got to actually cut some wood for now...