Remember Why I Hate Synthetic Stone...

mgbinspect

New Construction - foreclosure:

I think I'll just refrain from expounding. The pics pretty much tell all in horrifying detail. I just told the buyer to consult with the largest and most reputable Synthetic stucco and stone installer in town. Be prepared to to spend a chunk based upon what the expert says and plenty in the future as well, because most of the damage can't be undone without tearing it all off and starting over. It's pretty from a distance though...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124202610_DSCN7063.jpg

58.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124202722_DSCN7067.jpg

48.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124202827_DSCN7068.jpg

49.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124202910_DSCN7069.jpg

63.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124203021_DSCN7070.jpg

43.44 KB

The photo above - that's good ole' 15 lb felt paper. Sigh.. that ought to be good for a season or two...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124203221_DSCN7090.jpg

33.52 KB

[:-sick] [:-banghea

Who has the Charlie Foxtrot stamp? This place really deserves it.

I don't think it's gonna do you any good with this place, but the MVMA has a best practices installation guide available on their site, both HTML and PDF. I picked up a hard copy at the IBS a few weeks ago and they said they'd be happy to mail copies to anyone who wants one.

http://www.masonryveneer.org/

I don't think it's gonna do you any good with this place, but the MVMA has a best practices installation guide available on their site, both HTML and PDF. I picked up a hard copy at the IBS a few weeks ago and they said they'd be happy to mail copies to anyone who wants one.

http://www.masonryveneer.org/

Great resource Tom. Thanks a TON! Just added it to my PDF library.

Yeah,

I've been writing up cast masonry veneer on every house its installed on and sending copies of that best practices guide to the clients along with the report for a little over a year now.

Sure don't get many arguments from 'zoids or builders when they're presented with that document.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Erby had it, I copied it, but now I lost it in a maze of downloaded material.

Erby?

One of my blessings is I hardly ever, almost never, see that crap. It violates just about every sensibility I have about building material.

It lacks simplicity, honesty, and propriety. Woof......

It's just a building with cement pasties on... We all learned about pasties way back when... Didn't we?... [:-tophat] (I always liked keeping my money in my pocket back then. It just didn't compute.)

I loved installing field and quarry stone veneer, and toward the very end of my masonry career, it's what I did the most of. But, it was very difficult to get used to the fact that, while one could install approximately thirteen vertical feet of brickwork in a day, one was lucky to install three to four vertical feet of stone. It required patience, but it was always especially rewarding to step back at the end of the day and enjoy your artwork.

Back then, (in the early 80's) no one knew of drain planes, etc. The standard way to install field stone was directly against the wall sheathing, which was covered with a vapor retarder and fifteen or thirty pound felt. (I always chose thirty. Fifteen pound felt always seemed so fragile.) The work was achored with heavy guage wall ties and the cement/sand mix packed and chinked solidly right back to the sheathing - no voids. (While we always put weeps in brickwork because of the cavity behind, but with no cavity behind stonework, it didn't make sense. Moisture intrusion through six inches of solid stonework just didn't seem likely.) We'd slick and brush the outside surface of the joints to create a weather seal. It seemed to work well.

Yeah, but could you make real rocks defy gravity? [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_20112512144_fauxstone2.jpg

43.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011251228_fauxstone1.jpg

44.15 KB

Thanx, Erby......I needed that.....

I saw one of these where they had fake wood lap siding on the bottom of the house, and they had finished the gable ends with this round "river rock" crap.

The idiocy of piling "stone" on top of wood escaped the attendees.