Possible Air In Hot Water Line ?

Terence McCann

Did a bank owned home today - nice house, built in 06.

The thermostat setting, of the hot water tank, is set to just past 3rd degree burns.

At the master bath tub and at the laundry sink (both are the farthest runs from the tank) the hot water is spitting and sputtering like there is air in the lines. I ran both of these faucets for more than enough time to clear any air. No other faucet in the home exhibited this type of behavior.

?

Bank owned probably means it was winterized. I suspect you still have air trapped, at least partially, at a fixture or line near the tub and sink, but not directly "in line" with the heater. Presumably there wasn't a washing machine, and you didn't attempt to bleed that supply line, so that would be my first guest as the culprit.

Terry,

No further information as the 'air hiss' (in this case) finally did stop, but certainly was a very long time.

Nothing exotic at the bank-owned, vacant home. Save for a W/H that was fully rusted at water input/output lines, on case and top and bottom as well as wide open electrical pigtails at the top next to a dripping TPR Valve.

W/H was 11 years old (original for this house).

I told client to replace it.

It sounds like they turned the water on but never bothered to fill the tank or water lines and there was a lot of air trapped above the water in the tank. Once you turned the water on, all that air had to bleed out and the tank had to fill before the hissing and sputtering stopped.

OT - OF!!!

M.