Unidentified Roof Protrusion - URP

rkenney

Could someone please identify this for me. These town homes are about 10 yrs old. Most of the adjacent homes (but not all) have this on their roof.

The 1st picture is not real clear, but basically it just looks like a folded piece of strap metal as revealed by the attic photo. Does this have a purpose?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011617193642_what%20is.jpg

18.23 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011617193721_bottom.jpg

31.22 KB

Yep,

When you see those, make sure there is a cover on them. If they are left exposed to the weather the boot around the base will eventually degrade from UV/ozone and start to leak. When that happens, the framing inside gets wet and eventually rots. Find 'em rotting every once in a while.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

In my area the builder can not get the CO on a new home untill all fall protection anchors are removed. The sad thing is that they want them all removed for the CO but nobody enforces the use of them while the home is being built.

Whether the fall protection hardware gets left in place depends on the hardware. The D-ring style systems are only intended for temporary use and are supposed to be removed after the roof is complete. The Super-Anchor style systems are designed to be left in place for future work.

I was just reading the Super Anchor installation instructions and I see that the anchor in Bob's photo is installed incorrectly. When you install these on a truss with a 2x4 top chord, such as this one, you're supposed to install a 2x4x24" piece of blocking under the chord. Without that blocking, the Super Anchor could shatter the truss chord if someone were to fall and stress the anchor.

http://www.superanchor.com/pdfs/sancmanl.pdf

Check out the requirements on figures 10 & 13 and see the possible failure scenario in figure 16.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading the Super Anchor installation instructions and I see that the anchor in Bob's photo is installed incorrectly. When you install these on a truss with a 2x4 top chord, such as this one, you're supposed to install a 2x4x24" piece of blocking under the chord. Without that blocking, the Super Anchor could shatter the truss chord if someone were to fall and stress the anchor.

http://www.superanchor.com/pdfs/sancmanl.pdf

Check out the requirements on figures 10 & 13 and see the possible failure scenario in figure 16.

I like the restrictions on "MODIFICATION OF THE ANCHOR / NON-SPECIFIED USES:"

8) Do not cut, bend, drill, or modify the anchor in any way.

9) Do not install anchor inverted with stem facing down, unless the

framing has been specifically engineered to support the intended

load.

10) Do not attempt to repair a damaged anchor.

11) Do not use anchors for hoisting, securing materials, scaffolding,

or any other use that is not specifcally intended for personal fall

protection.

12) Do not use for suspended loads, such as a boatswain’s chair.

13) Do not use as a live animal tether for camels, elephants,

water buffalo, or rhinos.

. . . I like the restrictions on "MODIFICATION OF THE ANCHOR / NON-SPECIFIED USES:"

8) Do not cut, bend, drill, or modify the anchor in any way.

9) Do not install anchor inverted with stem facing down, unless the

framing has been specifically engineered to support the intended

load.

10) Do not attempt to repair a damaged anchor.

11) Do not use anchors for hoisting, securing materials, scaffolding,

or any other use that is not specifcally intended for personal fall

protection.

12) Do not use for suspended loads, such as a boatswain’s chair.

13) Do not use as a live animal tether for camels, elephants,

water buffalo, or rhinos.

I hadn't noticed that. I wonder why they chose those particular animals.

I suppose it's fine to tether horses & mules to them.

I dunno. I have trouble imagining myself driving down a street and noticing a house with a super anchor installed near the ridge with a long rope coming down from it and attached to a horse in the front yard. I'm staring at the horse and he's staring at me.

Marc