shingles overlap at joints

troyhq

I had a new roof put on very poorly in my opinion the backside of the house is not to bad but still has many defects in my opinion but ones that i can understand and live with. Some overlapping shingles 1/8 inch or less and exposed nails less than a dozen. If the front of the house they didn't screw up so bad on. On the front of the house is full of problems overlapping shingles mostly on the ends but some in the field as well ranging from 2" to 1/8". The most horrible cut below my upstair windows and in a few rows Joints that are from 3 1/2 inches to 2 1/2 inches from each other. Certain Teed's instructions have a note that says no closer than 3 1/2". I threw a fit and said that I believed the front should be stripped and redone. So the owner came out and took a look from the truck he said look good to him. I'm thinking this is not going to go well because I'm already pissed. He climbs on the roof and says well you do have some legitimate concerns but no reason to strip the roof. I will trim the overlaps that are really bad. Pull out the row that the joints are to close on and replace it. The joints that are 1/8 inch or less I would do myself and leave them that is the way the industry is going and its ok. I'm thinking BULL @#$%!!!!! So I say it prevents the shingle above it from laying flat and point one out to him that would never lay flat which he did agree with but for the most part he says that was an unusual one. At that point I tell him I called Certain Teed and asked them about it and they said any overlapping joints is not following instructions not that it was wrong just not following instructions. It was hard to to get them admit anything. I also mentioned that its silly to have any as it is something that is very easy to avoid having shingled many roofs myself and all of them look better than this one. Anyways is it acceptable to have overlaps 1/8 inch or less at the joint. I can see afew but as many as there are I think it is just a sign of poor workmanship.

I don't see it at all as being unreasonable for you to insist to the installer that the wholesale violation of the manufacturer's instructions makes the installation itself downright defective.

I'd fight tooth and nail for a new installation, this time in compliance with all of Certainteed's applicable instructions.

Marc

Anyways is it acceptable to have overlaps 1/8 inch or less at the joint

I agree that it is poor workmanship, and that it is a violation of manufacturer's installation instructions and therefore building code. Having said that, I see it once in a while, and have never seen it cause a problem with laminated shingles. They still seem to seal down fine, but in high wind areas, there's probably a greater risk for wind to lift the shingles.

Roofers don't get less coverage on purpose. Overlaps= more shingles and more time. What probably happened is they had a new guy on the nail gun and he misplaced nails in spots where the butt fell on the successive course. To cover the nail, the roofer pulled the shingle over the previous shingle.

But, once one starts messing with the offsets, the problem is self perpetuating because it really screws up where you can nail. You can get away with the overlap or two if you choose a shingle that has just one layer at its end. Anyway, if you screw up enough shingles in a course, then you're tempted to slip in a shingle portion to re-establish the correct offset- that's probably what happened on the course or courses that have inadequate offset.

The owner of the company a large one in the area. Said it happens because of a trick of the trade and he does it himself and then that I should just accept it because it has become acceptible. When I tell him it is a sign of poor quality he laughed and said that they have the highest quality rating in the industry and basically I didn't know what I was talking about and I should just let him take care of the roof he personally is taking care of the job and going to make sure I'm happy.