Unknown damage to T-111 siding.

kimball gray

T-111 on an octagon shaped home in the sticks. There are holes or damaged areas on the siding that all appear in horizontal orientation. The areas are horizontal, about 2-3 feet apart and consistent around most of the perimeter of the home. Mostly on the north and east sides. At first I thought it was pest damage and they considered maybe Christmas decorations(strings of lights) that were pulled down by force. I tried to step back and refresh on what might have caused this oddity but I am still blank. I dont think pests are that smart...to stay in straight lines consistently.. This home is built on a full basement that is reinforced and the siding is clear of grade. Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks again in advance. STUMPED.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113133449_101_0024.jpg

77.28 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113133733_101_0028.jpg

51.57 KB

I have seen this kind of damage amount to thousands and thousands of dollars.

Old style "T-111" had regular voids in the second layer of wood that pecking type birds seem to know will harbor insects.

Does not seem to help if you fill those voids with caulk. I have heard that expanding foam filler will fool them.

Insects are in the voids. Birds eating.
It's not that the woody peckers found insects. They "sound" to find voids in wood. Once a void is discovered, they open it up to see if the void was created by, and harboring, insects.
Woodpeckers aren't terribly smart. There is one that frequents my parent's house that likes to bang on the meter can.
They do the same thing with aluminum siding and metal roofing. They're announcing to the bird community that this is their territory.

Woodpeckers aren't terribly smart. There is one that frequents my parent's house that likes to bang on the meter can.
They do the same thing with aluminum siding and metal roofing. They're announcing to the bird community that this is their territory.

Yep. Territorial marking or calling for a mate.

I used to have one that would routinely rap on my wood stove flue pipe cap. Made a heck of a racket. If the house was quiet enough I could hear it land and had about 20 - 30 seconds before it started making noise. I would then smack the flue with a piece of wood and scare it off. Some behaviors can be un-learned.

I've heard that shotguns and BB guns work well, too. (not that I know from personal experience)