New panel

Chad Fabry

While the work is certainly neat, I see NM cables too close to the floor boards, possibly conductors too small to be re-identified with tape, and also a receptacle that may limit the required work space if an appliance is installed in front of the panel.

The floor in this location is over two inches thick-5/4 pine+thinset+cement backer+thinset+ marble.

The smallest re-identified conductor is 12 gauge- would you please supply the reference? I had no idea there is a minimum/ maximum.

The appliance thing in front of the panel- we'll cross that bridge if ever I want to install a stove or something in that location.

I also would not consider that service panel to be as close as practical to the point of entrance of the service cable.

It's as close as is possible. The stone walls are 18 inches thick. The SE cable turns to go outside as soon as it passes through the joist.

The uneven floor surface may also be an issue. Is the drain pipe behind the plane of the panel? If not it would also be an issue.

I struggled with the foundation bench issue creating an uneven work surface. It's the location of the original panel though, and it created a really nice place for me to sit while I did the bottom circuits.

The drain pipe is behind the the plane of the panel and it is temporary- it directs the grey water from the washer to the sump pump pit where it is discharged to daylight in the garden. I'll have the real laundry room done sometime this winter. I'm considering not changing where the washer water goes. It's working out quite well and tales a big load off the septic system.

If those are the grounding conductors leaving the bottom of the panel, it would have been better with sweeping bends instead of hard corners. Ideally they should be as straight as possible.

Really? the bends on the GEC easily fall into the "acceptable" category.

Straps on the PVC also seem to be lacking.

Yeah, I'm missing one at the board. It's better than it used to be- before this panel was installed, there was no conduit. The individual conductors were smooshed through a 1" NM bushing. Honestly, I'll probably never get around to fixing it.

Here is the reference about re-identifying a grounded conductor.

200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.

(A) Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller. An insulated grounded conductor

of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by one of

the following means:

(1) A continuous white outer finish.

(2) A continuous gray outer finish.

(3) Three continuous white stripes along the conductor?s

entire length on other than green insulation........

I could not tell if the service cable entered the house from the back of the picture or from the right side. I would have slide the panel a few inches to the left to avoid the uneven floor.

The thickness of the floor cannot be discerned from the picture. I was commenting on how close they were to the under side of the subfloor. This may have made some of the cables only 3/4" from the nailing surface.

Here's my "before" pic. Notice the C Clamp ground connection for the welder breaker. The Fort Schuyler beer bottle that likely has been there since 1976 is a nice touch.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111119204822_104_2818%20(Medium).jpg

71.07?KB

Randy and Nolan, I never dreamed for a moment that I would escape unscathed when I posted the picture of my new panel, but thanks for the love.

No malice was in any way intended by my comments. I was pointing out possible issues in regards to the pic I say posted. Some Chad addressed and some are still code issues like the uneven floor. I was commenting the same as an electrical inspector would examine the work.

The comment about the grounding conducotrs is about functionality.

• 3 weeks later...