Your opinion please #2

rbaake

I started a project called "Sticks, Stones and Straw" couple of decades ago that was going to be a list of ALL materials the home inspector should be familiar with. (regards to Bonnie Trenga)

It went quite well for a few years, then became an impossible task because of all the new stuff; materials, methods applications etc. It is still fun to look at, but really has no real value. My point is that the inspector must be a walking source without benefit of the www. Can't know everything, but you sure must know that you don't know.

I recall visiting inspectapedia several times. I get turned off by the overwhelming amount data on the first page that greets me, most of which is not what I'm looking for. I wonder if that guy Dan does his reports that way.

Pretty much what Kurt said.

Marc

That's why active participation in a place such as this is a great resource for inspectors. Participating here exposes us to more than just what we normally see. I've been able to speak intelligently about several things over the years that I don't regularly see, just because I saw it on here and was intrigued enough to do a little further research on my own.

I just wish more inspectors would take a little time now and then to do the same.

Dan is a former home inspector and prolific writer from upstate New York.

Oh, no he's not!

He's from Poughkeepsie. Down state. Not even close. Since this place is all about education, please allow me to inform you that those of us from upstate New York, think it's funny to hear any place within 200 miles north of the city referred to as upstate. FWIW. We sound more like your generic news anchor than the "fogetaboutit" accent you're used to hearing from the city.

Carry on.[;)]

Posted - 11/16/2011 : 4:29:48 PM

Quote: Dan is a former home inspector and prolific writer from upstate New York.

Oh, no he's not!

He's from Poughkeepsie. Down state. Not even close. Since this place is all about education, please allow me to inform you that those of us from upstate New York, think it's funny to hear any place within 200 miles north of the city referred to as upstate. FWIW. We sound more like your generic news anchor than the "fogetaboutit" accent you're used to hearing from the city.

Carry on.

...........yeah, what you said.

.........Greg

So, where is upstate? I figured a line from Buffalo to lake George, anything north of that.

When I get to Speculator, I know I'm upstate.

That line would be known to us as the thruway. I think you can sneak a little further south than that. Once you get into the Adirondack region, (Speculator) you're in northern NY.

It's not as much about a border as it is about the people in the city that think they're in the friggin forest when they get fourty miles north.

Maybe it's all of the banjo music and the uncle daddy day sac races that fool them.

It's more of a left/right thing. Start at the City, and move through the suburbs and xurbs until you leave the money and influence. Now your upstate, unless your in Albany.

I have to agree with that. I grew up in Amenia, about 25 miles northeast of Poughkeepsie. We considered ourselves to be living "upstate" and considered anything south of the Sawmill River Parkway the "City" or "Downstate." It really was simply a division between Noo Yawkaas and New Yorkers.

The Noo Yawkaas used to crack us up when they'd travel upstate and stop in for gas or at the local grocery. Accent, mannerisms, everything - particularly ballsy attitude - as if they were the world's boss and we small town folks were so quaint and unsophisticated - yet their grammar and mauling of the English language was atrocious.

Last time I was back there nearly three years ago, I was saddened to see that our once quiet hamlet of 1100 souls is covered by gentlemen's horse farms bordered by white fences, each one holding less than a half dozen horses and owned by (gasp) noo yawkaas who're buying up all of the available land and will probably outnumber the natives in another twenty years. In that sense, Amenia is no longer "upstate" and one now needs to drive ten miles north to Millerton to get "upstate" and away from the city tide.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike