Range Hood

Charles

Good morning,

Inspected a large foreclosed home yesterday that had an interesting range hood. The builder used components from a Thermador range hood. Blower is on the roof. Cook top is a four burner GE Profile with griddle.

Problem: exposed framing in the site built hood. There certainly appears to be a problem associated with the builder using components and not the full hood as well as heat/potential of grease fire and the exposed framing.

My advice to the client is get a listed hood and install all required components.

Comments please.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012128112932_Range%20Hood.jpg

56.23 KB

Good morning,

Inspected a large foreclosed home yesterday that had an interesting range hood. The builder used components from a Thermador range hood. Blower is on the roof. Cook top is a four burner GE Profile with griddle.

Problem: exposed framing in the site built hood. There certainly appears to be a problem associated with the builder using components and not the full hood as well as heat/potential of grease fire and the exposed framing.

My advice to the client is get a listed hood and install all required components.

Comments please.

Seems like he went through an awful lot of time & expense to screw it up. Most builders screw things up by taking shortcuts.

It's probably not possible, but I bet that if you were to dig into this, you'd find that the work was done by a homeowner rather than a builder. Homeowners tend to work a lot harder at screwing things up.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012128112932_Range%20Hood.jpg

56.23?KB

That's reasonable advice. Mixing and matching is a bad idea.

I've never seen a roof top fan for a kitchen cooktop on a house before. Did you take a picture?

I thought this vid was funny.

It's OK to have a fan on the roof; that's how every commercial hood is set up. But, it's gotta be a fan rated for the purpose.

I've mixed and matched components with range hoods before. If someone wants to get worked up because now it's not listed by the mfg., oh well......it's really not a big deal. It's a hood, ductwork, and a fan. I happen to have access to commercial equipment, so we mix stuff up all the time.

But, if someone does something as moronic as the hood in the pic, that's different. Who knows what the heck else they did.

It's OK to have a fan on the roof; that's how every commercial hood is set up. But, it's gotta be a fan rated for the purpose.

I've mixed and matched components with range hoods before. If someone wants to get worked up because now it's not listed by the mfg., oh well......it's really not a big deal. It's a hood, ductwork, and a fan. I happen to have access to commercial equipment, so we mix stuff up all the time.

But, if someone does something as moronic as the hood in the pic, that's different. Who knows what the heck else they did.

I was not implying there is something wrong with roof top fans. But the owner/operator better know what they have on their hands. Kitchen fires are a big deal and this buyer isn't likely to know what the hell is going on. I'd get worked up over mixing and matching here.

I did an inspection of a restaurant not long ago. The owner (my client) was leasing the property to a very large, well known franchised burger chain that I will not name and he was very unhappy with how his tenant was keeping his equipment maintained.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012129152725_034_exhaust.jpg

69.39 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201212915283_225_Vga%20b%20and%20w.jpg

68.1 KB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I suggest that you go to a local supplier and see the range hoods first hand. Then be sure to buy from them and support your local economy instead of patronizing a sleazy internet retailer such as www.rangehoodstore.com. That's a terrible site. Everyone I know who's had to deal with them has been disappointed.

Thanks Jim Katen. I will follow your advice.

What's the significance in John choosing to put Jim's name in bold?

I suspect it's a subtle threat - his way of saying, "I know who you are. Watch out."

If so, it's kind of dumb because it put me on the lookout for, say, the email that I received yesterday from a "prospective client," which contained a virus in an attachment.