Spanish translator for Mexican clients

Today's clients speak not a single word of English. Realtor speaks it but I could tell when I met her today that my report will be seriously watered down if not totally changed if I depend on her.

Anyone speak spanish? I was thinking I could Email the body of the report to a spanish speaking inspector, get an electronic, spoken translation of it and forward that to the client.

I'm trying to come thru for this couple, like the blind client that someone here picked up at the airport once for an inspection.

Marc

Google Translator is pretty good for bare bones translation, but don't count on it to convey subtleties. Keep your language very straight forward and simple.

I use it a lot for talking to China, and the other end tells me it's not bad. Not good, but not bad.

Take lots of pictures. I get Asian clients all the time, and I watch the realtors translate my three sentences into 3 simple words. So I use some universal lingo like "this is all Mickey Mouse" and it gets them nodding and laughing. Then the pics get the points across, like a screwdriver sticking out of a hole in the stucco or the roof.

I'll try it. Copy/paste the language to a Word document then submit it to Google.

My spouse is PR. Speaks latin but not well enough for this task. Perhaps well enough to judge the google translation though.

I'm on a fast track here.

Really appreciate it fellas.

Marc

Get in touch with Arlene Puentes, http://www.octoberhome.com/

She has the technical expertise and the language skills to do the job really well. Of course, you'll probably have to cross her palm with silver. . .

Another thought: call the local courthouse. They usually have a pool of translators who'll work by the hour for very reasonable prices.

Google Translator is pretty good for bare bones translation, but don't count on it to convey subtleties. Keep your language very straight forward and simple.

I use it a lot for talking to China, and the other end tells me it's not bad. Not good, but not bad.

My best bud travels to China 5-6 times a year; building a Caterpillar plant there. Here's what he taught me for my chinese clients:

"How" = Good/okay

"Boo-How" = Bad

"Mamma Hoo-Hoo" = So-So (with a palm down, fingers apart hand waiver)

If you have already done the inspection it is too late, but you should have someone there they can trust to translate verbally what you see during the inspection. I find a lot of my adult clients don't speak English but their kids do very well. I make sure a trusted translator will be there.

I've never done an inspection for an Hispanic client who doesn't have kids or relatives who speak English very well. It's a cultural thing but usually the whole family and then some are there during the inspection. I have had 12 year ols translate what I am saying and we get along just fine.

Prepare the report in English. Don't mess with a language you have not mastered. Make it clear to the client and everyone else that they need this translated to them when they receive it and to call you immediately regarding anything that is not clearly understood.

If you have already done the inspection it is too late, but you should have someone there they can trust to translate verbally what you see during the inspection. I find a lot of my adult clients don't speak English but their kids do very well. I make sure a trusted translator will be there.

I've never done an inspection for an Hispanic client who doesn't have kids or relatives who speak English very well. It's a cultural thing but usually the whole family and then some are there during the inspection. I have had 12 year ols translate what I am saying and we get along just fine.

Prepare the report in English. Don't mess with a language you have not mastered. Make it clear to the client and everyone else that they need this translated to them when they receive it and to call you immediately regarding anything that is not clearly understood.

I'm working on it now. Not due until late am tomorrow. I tried following the 'observations' section on my plumbing page with a google-translate copy in spanish. Spouse says it looks surprisingly good. My language is simple, like I learned here and it works on the translater.

I can't post it here Jim, the forum's software gets a lot of characters wrong.

My client owes you, fellas, and so do I.

Marc

• 1 month later...

Hey Marc,

Google has a free translating service if your format does not have your report too bound up.

It does a lot of tongues including pig latin.

Copy and paste piece by piece might work?

That's true, but Google translator is not that much proficient for translating professional documents. Also it is unable to translate complex sentences. So it will be better for you to approach online Spanish interpretation providing services, having excellent experience with them!!