lap at valley(s)

Jerry Lozier

Never seen a lap at valley quite like this, besides being lapped wrong looks like a blind guy with a hatchet trimmed the shingles. 5 year old home. They seemed to be sealed down ok, but bunches of nails in center of shingles... geeeeez

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265174537_P6050001.jpg

31.38 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265174639_P6050028.jpg

26.27 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265174757_P6050030.jpg

77.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265174833_P6050031.jpg

82.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265174948_P6050034.jpg

62.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265175047_P6050035.jpg

77.69 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265175130_P6050049.jpg

77.26 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201265175842_P6050047.jpg

76.78 KB

I don't suppose you could peek under the valley at the eaves to see if their was an ice and water shield. Anybody who could produce such a thoughtless disregard for valley roofing instructions had to have messed up the all important details beneath.

yes, I & W shield was there at least what I could see at the eaves... don't know if it extends up the valleys

Have not written report yet but will probably say something to the effect:

Substandard installation of valleys, standard is to cut laminate shingles 1-2" before the bottom of the valley and not after top layer of shingles has gone up the other side. ... That being said current installation is aesthetically (ugly) however probably will not drastically reduce the water shedding ability of the valley (monitor for debris build up) IF the underlayment, ice and water barrier and lower layer of shingles were properly installed. (inaccessible for full view). Best recommendation is (a different and licensed roofer) install the valleys correctly blah blah

What else??

I contracted in a fair number of shingle replacement jobs before becoming an inspector. I've seen how deteriorated the underlying layer of shingles (and decking) was on multi-layered roof coverings. Humidity becomes trapped between the layers and quickly rots the underlying layer. Jerry's situation is similar.

I'd be writing up that the valley might fail prematurely because the shingles were not properly installed there and moisture is likely trapped between the overlapping layers. Cut the shingles back a couple inches away from the center of the valley so rainwater can drain like it should.

I know Jim doesn't like the word 'might' but there remains the possibility that the Ice & Water Shield will protect the valley until the remaining covering expires. I just don't trust it. I've seen Grace I&WS exactly once here in 9 years.

Marc