ROOFS

ajakos

I have a camera tripod taped to a paint roller handle which screws onto a 12' extendable paint pole. I used black electrical tape for a professional look. [:)]

With a pruning pole attachment, I can go 24' up. Only done that twice since I built it.

I use the paint pole either from a balcony or from the top of a ladder, about 5 times a year. Some people use the movie function of their camera. I prefer to use a camera with a 10 sec timer for still shots, quicker to upload and use. I can then show these pics to my clients on a laptop.

Here's an example from a month ago. 12 in 12 pitch with an invisible flat section. I'm at the gutter on my long ladder, two stories up.

The white spots are seagull poop. They love flat roofs on the waterfront.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201291913122_roof.jpg

75.36?KB

This is all I could see from the ladder and no, I ain't climbing up that valley.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201291913150_rooftop.jpg

51.8?KB

I got 5 or 6 good high res pics of the roof with the paint pole.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201291913226_rooftop2.jpg

43.12?KB

This pic is blurry maybe from the wind shaking my pole, but there's the pole cam shadow, lower right.

How do you frame a shot in the viewfinder and adjust your exposures from the bottom of the pole?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I set my timer and have a 10 second count to position the pole, then hold it steady. Bring it down, check the pic. The tripod has an angle adjustment. Auto focus. Trial and error.

I imagine the fancy rigs have a remote viewer.

The pole I use doesn't replace walking the roof. It gives me pictures where there is no way to get up there, such as a condo roof where access is denied.

• 1 year later...

The cure for all this will eventually be some sort of remote aerial thing.. That industry is getting close... not there yet. .but in a few years.. :)

Thinking about trying one of these:

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

Anyone have one yet?

I tried one out. It wasn't stable enough to maneuver close enough and hold position steady enough to take good photos. If you hit or even touched anything, it responded unpredictably. If it crashed on a roof or an inaccessibly location, you have a problem.

That was a year ago so maybe the stabilization program is improved.

About the battery. Life is very short. Much shorter than advertised and it takes time to get the bird into position and then wait for a lull in the wind to take the photo. When the battery gets low, it drops like a stone, wherever it happens to be. I couldn't have inspected the roof on my 1800SF house with even three sets of batteries.

Marc

I bought one in Atlanta at IW a few years ago. I use it on the dozen or so roofs I can't access per year. I have the spotter wireless camera and a HD video camera. With a little practice you can get pretty good at getting detailed video of the roof. It is also flexible enough to bend around behind chimneys.

They advertise the weight at 10#. Sounds like it would be easy to handle but when you have it fully extended, it can be a handful, especially if the wind is blowing. You will definitely build up some arm strength using it.