WDO al maximo

This 1970 ranch looked good sitewise, positive slope on three of four sides, gutters and wide overhang, but some dips and low spots in floors were troubling. Not many vents in foundation wall.

Soon as crawl was entered, first stab with probe sank to hilt, and never got better. Worst I have seen, no termite, all mold. Gut job to fix. Buyer not very encouraged, to say the least.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111102540_HPIM4357.jpg

47.09?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111102616_HPIM4354.jpg

40.19?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111102920_HPIM4356.jpg

43.2 KB

The water line could be from some history too. Unoccupied for six yrs but utlilies on for duration, note from plumber written in June this yr, apparently when decision to sell occurred, said he replaced WC that was leaking. Last occupant was widow who lived alone there many yrs. Her departure left everything untouched, toothbrush on the sink, food in fridge, creepy in its way. Active leak could have made a lake over so much time's passage.

I sometimes refer to these as 'bulldozer' cases. Buy it for the land, bulldoze the house and build anew.

Marc

The 'B' word won't make you popular, but I think you know that. [:)]

My first reaction is the same, but there are builders that are not easily frightened, that can drop that floor and hang a new one, provided the outer shell is worth it.

Case in mind, a little 40's bungalow with serious termite damage to the subfloor. The builder had laid a log with the bark left on for a beam in the dirt crawlspace. Basically created a termite nest under there.

My clients were a handyman and his son. They took it on as a challenge and have restored that place nicely. An electric chain saw made short work of the log.

I saw a fixit on a five-yr old house that much of the floor and about a foot of the frame walls, but was not so complete a scene of destruction.

It was a 90K repair on a 150K house.

This little ranch is not really the apple of the buyer's eye, so he is, if he gets it, leaning toward the trackhoe and roll-off option.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012111115532_HPIM4313.jpg

83.49 KB

. . . This little ranch is not really the apple of the buyer's eye, so he is, if he gets it, leaning toward the trackhoe and roll-off option.. . .

I'm surprised to hear about all this bulldozing. Don't folks in other parts of the country burn down unwanted houses? Around here, folks call the local fire department. They set it on fire, put the fire out, set it on fire again, put it out again, etc. Great fun.

. . . This little ranch is not really the apple of the buyer's eye, so he is, if he gets it, leaning toward the trackhoe and roll-off option.. . .

I'm surprised to hear about all this bulldozing. Don't folks in other parts of the country burn down unwanted houses? Around here, folks call the local fire department. They set it on fire, put the fire out, set it on fire again, put it out again, etc. Great fun.

Right, same here.

Pulling it all down with a hoe, piling the scrap and hauling it all away is the expensive alternative.

Sometimes the house will be jacked up and trucked away to be sold as is, but not if it's rotted.

Bulldozers in fact are mostly rusted hulks parked out in the back forty. Few of them will ever run again.

The local fire department helped my Dad get rid of his house when a really nasty hail storm took it out, along with several others. Wasn't much left to haul off after they got done with burning it several times. The local fire departments got a lot of practice from that storm.

I sometimes refer to these as 'bulldozer' cases. Buy it for the land, bulldoze the house and build anew.

Marc

The 'B' word won't make you popular, but I think you know that. [:)]

My first reaction is the same, but there are builders that are not easily frightened, that can drop that floor and hang a new one, provided the outer shell is worth it.

Case in mind, a little 40's bungalow with serious termite damage to the subfloor. The builder had laid a log with the bark left on for a beam in the dirt crawlspace. Basically created a termite nest under there.

My clients were a handyman and his son. They took it on as a challenge and have restored that place nicely. An electric chain saw made short work of the log.

I avoid the B word also. We call them scrapers around here.

We have some property over in East Texas that had a very old and dangerous home that needed to be burned down.

I spent six months working with various county and city municipalities (IE: fire departments) and they would not touch it.

Reason being due to EPA, insurance and Lord knows how many more regulatory agencies being involved.

I was told to have someone backhoe it and haul it off. But FIRST !!! ... I would have to get EPA approval and would have to have the property reviewed for asbestos and other potential harmful items and if found it would have to be contained and removed first before they could chop it down. Thank you large government ... even in a very, very, very small East Texas community where the nearest 'town' is 13 miles away.

Well ... I got in touch with a fellow who had a demo business and had some spare time a backhoe and a couple of trucks. Ended up that the the old wood house was down in a couple of hours and complete haul off completed by noon on a Saturday when the job started around 10AM on on Friday. The demo guy had a friend who had a farm nearby with a big gully that held the debris and was burned the following Sunday.

BTW - the demo guy even had to be careful where he drove the trucks as the local minders and constabulary had eyes open for such events and more than willing to write tickets and assess fines.

I can assure you that it is not as easy as it used to be in many circumstances.