Makers Mark NOT watering down whiskey !!

I toured the distillery in 1995 when in Kentucky to visit an old friend. Interesting experience. Compared to other distilleries they had a distinct "small business" feel. That's probably changed now. I vividly remember seeing a fly land (and remain) on the foamy mash in a large open pot.

Back then I bought more bourbon than I do now, and MM was my preferred brand. But I prefer Woodford Reserve now, even though I don't go through more than a bottle every couple of years or so.

Not sure I understand the outrage over dropping the alcohol content marginally though.

I toured the distillery in 1995 when in Kentucky to visit an old friend. Interesting experience. Compared to other distilleries they had a distinct "small business" feel. That's probably changed now. I vividly remember seeing a fly land (and remain) on the foamy mash in a large open pot.

Back then I bought more bourbon than I do now, and MM was my preferred brand. But I prefer Woodford Reserve now, even though I don't go through more than a bottle every couple of years or so.

Not sure I understand the outrage over dropping the alcohol content marginally though.

Nah, it's still about the same. That's actually the area I grew up in, not much has changed.

Nah, it's still about the same. That's actually the area I grew up in, not much has changed.

It cuts the 'horsepower'. Less bang for your money.[;)]

Marc

not MM but worth a taste if you're in Vegas @ the right place & time

Exclusively taste the Mackinlay’s Shackleton at the Nth show 2013.

Shackleton whisky Continue the journey

Your chance to sample a truly historic whisky and discover the fascinating story behind its creation.

Mackinlay’s Shackleton Whisky will take pole position at the Ultimate Whisky Experience, Nth 2013 Show, in Las Vegas on Friday March 1st. Our Master Blender, Richard Paterson, will tell the fascinating story behind the creation of this truly historic whisky and there will be a unique opportunity to sample it for yourself.

Mackinlay’s Shackleton Whisky is a faithful recreation of Mackinlay’s Rare Old Highland Malt, which legendary explorer Ernest Shackleton took on his epic British Antarctic Expedition in 1907. After a century entombed in thick ice, three cases were unearthed in 2007 — and Richard’s own journey began…

During his enthralling masterclass, Richard will explain how three bottles, still wrapped in their original paper and straw, were carefully returned to Scotland in 2011, where he and his team spent weeks analyzing their precious contents. He will also reveal how they then began the painstaking process of recreating this beautiful honey-colored whisky, with its distinctive fruity aromas and whispers of peat.

The result was the 1st recreation, The Discovery, followed by the new version, The Journey – both offering a true taste of history.

After Richard’s inspiring and insightful seminar, you will have the chance to savor The Journey for yourself. It’s a whisky that, once sampled, will never be forgotten.

the story behind this blend is pretty amazing

http://natgeotv.com/uk/shackletons-whisky

was given a bottle as a tip from a repeat client

...was given a bottle as a tip from a repeat client

So...my interpretation is that you're inviting everyone over for a taste, right? All for historical reasons, of course.

with gas/fuel where it's at the rt cost properly applied would probably get ya a whole bottle locally, but pick yer poison

Shackleton isn't running off the shelves here at $180 a pop

heard on npr the better investment would be the lower proof, now a collectors version of MM