Garage Overhead Door Warning Label

Jerry Simon

The label posted by the opener's button, warning about *big door, little kids* and such.

Someone once told me that posting the label was a "Federal requirement", one that came into being after some guvment big-wig's kid was tragically crushed under an overhead door.

Any truth to any of this?

Click to Enlarge
201371118012_label.png

57.07 KB

• 6 years later...
On 7/11/2013 at 2:57 PM, Jerry Simon said:

Someone once told me that posting the label was a "Federal requirement", one that came into being after some guvment big-wig's kid was tragically crushed under an overhead door.

I believe that the federal government requires the manufacturers to provide the label and the instructions that go with it. As far as I know, failing to obey the instructions is not a federal crime. If it is, it's not being enforced. 

My understanding is the Feds got involved in making the requirement for manufacturers which trickles down in manufacturers instructions which is by default now part of the building code for those items. Small stroke of the pen at the federal level makes big ripples even in a small pond far far away. Had the same type of deal with smoke alarms for hearing impaired in Texas. Texas legislator had deaf family members die in fire a few years ago and he sponsored legislation to require notification and voluntary installation of alarms with flashing lights. Nobody knows what the heck the rule is talking about but there is a check box about It on every sellers disclosure document now. Lots of laws are created by similar methods.

Edited by inspector57

28 minutes ago, inspector57 said:

My understanding is the Feds got involved in making the requirement for manufacturers which trickles down in manufacturers instructions which is by default now part of the building code for those items. Small stroke of the pen at the federal level makes big ripples even in a small pond far far away. Had the same type of deal with smoke alarms for hearing impaired in Texas. Texas legislator had deaf family members die in fire a few years ago and he sponsored legislation to require notification and voluntary installation of alarms with flashing lights. Nobody knows what the heck they rule is talking about but there is a check box about It on every sellers disclosure document now. Lots of laws are created by similar methods.

After Hurricane Katrina passed in 2005, I did inspections for the US Small Business Administration for about 5 months in New Awleans.  I got up one morning at 4:30, showered then noticed all the fire trucks out the window of my 6th floor room. Turns out, I was the only resident in the building not evacuated when a fire started on the 2nd floor.  I never heard the alarm, never heard the banging at the door.  Fire never got past the 3rd floor.  I was one lucky SOB.

A few months ago, the local FD installed a commercial grade fire alarm for deaf folks on my side of the bed, free of charge.  It includes a 'bed shaker' under my pillow. No lights.

Edited by Marc