The Lint Lizard

Mike Lamb

I just saw the Lint Lizard ad on TV. I'm all for dryer efficiency and safety so I looked into it. The reviews are fair to good.

https://www.lintlizard.com/

From Consumer Reports:

Bottom line. It?s almost like a magic wand! Our reaching hands removed 8 grams of lint; a vacuum cleaner and crevice tool managed to suck up another 4 grams. And the Lint Lizard? Another 15 grams. In the second dryer, a crevice tool and vacuum cleaner removed just 0.3 grams of lint, after which Lint Lizard gulped 52 grams. Drawbacks: The Lizard?s sharply angled tip and curved hose made it miss a bit of lint in some nooks and on some surfaces, and it may not fit into very narrow openings in some dryers. Its sharp tip could also harm plastic ductwork (but it?s best to have metal dryer ducts).

http://www.amazon.com/Telebrands-Corpor ... B006ZV3LJ0

I just saw the Lint Lizard ad on TV. I'm all for dryer efficiency and safety so I looked into it. The reviews are fair to good.

https://www.lintlizard.com/

From Consumer Reports:

Bottom line. It?s almost like a magic wand! Our reaching hands removed 8 grams of lint; a vacuum cleaner and crevice tool managed to suck up another 4 grams. And the Lint Lizard? Another 15 grams. In the second dryer, a crevice tool and vacuum cleaner removed just 0.3 grams of lint, after which Lint Lizard gulped 52 grams. Drawbacks: The Lizard?s sharply angled tip and curved hose made it miss a bit of lint in some nooks and on some surfaces, and it may not fit into very narrow openings in some dryers. Its sharp tip could also harm plastic ductwork (but it?s best to have metal dryer ducts).

http://www.amazon.com/Telebrands-Corpor ... B006ZV3LJ0

There's one around here, somewhere.

They work just fine.

Tom, that is an expensive knock-off of the 3M unit which has been around for years: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... details&Q=

Note that its intended use is primarily cleaning copy machines as it is ESD shielded. I have used it for many years for light vacuuming of gas fireplaces. Also, the filters are MUCH cheaper than the one you listed.

Vacuuming the lint trap does not remove the lint in the vent, thus alone, it is misleading to think this provides safety from a lint fire. Also, if you inspect inside a dryer compartment, you will sometimes find lint everywhere that this hose will not reach. A proper cleaning includes the entire vent and the inside compartment.

Vacuuming the lint trap does not remove the lint in the vent, thus alone, it is misleading to think this provides safety from a lint fire. Also, if you inspect inside a dryer compartment, you will sometimes find lint everywhere that this hose will not reach. A proper cleaning includes the entire vent and the inside compartment.

Bob, I understand what you're saying but, most people aren't going to pay someone to tear their appliances apart for a thorough cleaning. If you can get a few to use these, why not?

I honestly laughed at it when the girl brought it home. After seeing what it got out of the machine, and more importantly, the fact that she likes it and uses it, is good enough for me. The vent itself is of course, a separate project, better suited for a leaf blower.

Drift; The leaf blower is also the perfect tool for cleaning a shop vac filter. Just make sure you check the wind first, or you could end up with a bunch of pissed off neighbors and firemen in your yard.

There are cheap dryer vent cleaning rods available now at most hardware stores so they can DIY. The charge to sweep a dryer by a pro is usually very affordable though. On condos, they are often contracted out by the HOA. The most important thing first is to inspect it then worry about maintenance. If the homeowner wants to refuse professional service on their appliance that's fine but I think it should be documented that you made this recommendation so it becomes an economic decision on their part. Done. BTW, vacuuming alone is insufficient to clean a dryer vent. You need to use mechanical brushing. The vacuum is more for lint control if you choose to do it that way. Also, a pro can measure the discharge velocity before and after to document the improvement in performance. Some can also calculate the CFM delivered, which to me is more important.

Am I silly or did some posts get deleted including one of mine? Too contentious?

I didn't do the edit but the answers to your questions are, yes,yes, yes.

Too contentious? "Why is this posted in attics and insulation?"

That wasn't contentious, This is! You guys are a bunch of pansies.

No, that's over at the ASHI forum, especially one of the moderators.

Am I silly or did some posts get deleted including one of mine? Too contentious?

I didn't do the edit but the answers to your questions are, yes,yes, yes.

Too contentious? "Why is this posted in attics and insulation?"

That wasn't contentious, This is! You guys are a bunch of pansies.

Better behave yourself, Mr. Or, you'll be next.[;)]

It's all Lamb's fault to begin with. If he would've just posted some "High Art" dryer lint photos of well, maybe a lint lizard, this whole thread would've been different, and we would've all gone home with a shiny Tball trophy. But, Noooo! [;)]