Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Neal Lewis

Mold Guy Scares the Bejesus out of Buyer

Recommended Posts

Was at a typical 75 year old house this morning. A mold testing guy who's the buyer's friend spent at least two hours testing everything in sight for mold. Typical indoor and outdoor air samples, swabs, etc. He says the dishwasher has to be thrown out because the door gasket is dirty with mildew, mold or whatever.

The best one was the old refrigerator in the basement that had mildew around the leaky door gaskets. He declared it a big time problem and an indication that the basement is infested with mold. He said mildew on the furnace humidifier means the original galvanized ducts are moldy and should be replaced. Not sure how they're replacing all of them in a three story house. He says the entire basement has to be gutted due to a few black stains on the foundation.

This guy called himself an environmental specialist. I asked him if he noticed the corrugated asbestos on the heat ducts. He said he only does mold and doesn't inspect or test for asbestos...

I think the buyers are never going to find a house that passes their friends mold test and will continue to live in their apartment in Brooklyn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CDC

EPA

National Institute of Health

Les had it right. Education is key. The CDC, EPA and NIH all have publications written in laymen terms that give consumers the 'what is it, what does it mean and what to do about it' regarding mold, so that we HI's don't have to elevate our liabilities by attempting to do so ourselves.

Print out a few copies, keep them handy and pass them out.

Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the responsible person in this so called company, I have to deal with the mold issue everyday and all the attendant BS. My next task this morn is addressing the following comment and problem -

Quote "The appraisal did go through a management review due to comments made by the appraiser. All of the items listed on the appraisal as "defective" xxxxxxxxxx will have to be held in escrow. The biggest item right now is the mold in the basement. You will have to have a licensed mold specialist (not a contractor) perform an inspection on the home to determine if any remediation is required."

Michigan has no licensed mold people of any stripe. No person involved in this transaction will show or report what the appraiser said. The purchase will not proceed. The home inspection done couple of months ago did not indicate any mold (visually). This will take 1-2 hrs of time and has been done by this office hundreds, yes hundreds, of times.

"If the student has not learned, then the teacher has not taught" who knew how silly this would become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since the last post - ".............there is at least four sq foot of mold in the basement and shower on the first level. It must be tested and a remediation estimate submitted for escrow."

wonder if the neighbors are going to be ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since the last post - ".............there is at least four sq foot of mold in the basement and shower on the first level. It must be tested and a remediation estimate submitted for escrow."

Wonder if the Maid Team could remediate this potential superfund site.

This post and the one Les posted about the demo job make me think his world is on the other side of the looking glass...or is it a glimpse of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

".......and a remediation estimate submitted for escrow." Not only is he a mold expert, he's providing legal guidance. This is a clue he's not particularly bright.

No, it's not the future. Everyone has the right to be stupid. These people are just exercising their rights.

It's slowly going away. The medical profession has never gotten behind this, and it's extremely unlikely they are ever going to.

Except for the dork professional societies that have found it's a revenue stream to teach wannabe's, it would go away quicker.

Pogo was right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were dangerous OSHA wold assign it a PEL. There are no exposure limits to any fungi under OSHA, NIOSH, or the EPA.

By contrast, I exceeded the PEL to AP flour on my trip through Walmart this morning. The baking aisle is a war zone this close to a holiday.

Inspectors may not be regulated in MI, but appraisers are. I bet this idiot has violated a few of his licensing laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014417161524_DSCN2005.jpg

21.27 KB

This is the toxic site! it is a close shot of the corner. frame on the right side is the wall medicine cabinet. I cautiously approached the subject growth, pinched my nose, held my breath, clamped my knees together, put my safety goggles on, cinched my belt, and turned just a little askew and took this shot!

Now the official solution from the lender is that some idiot go over to this vacant house (more than a year) and spray it with Kilz because that would save the world.

A...holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×