What's causing this?

gtblum

Never seen it in my climate.

Why only on the west sides?

Why would trees obstructing the sun prevent this from happening?

Jim, Not preventing it, promoting what looks like the fungal growth typically seen on the north side of a wall, due to the lack of sunlight.

Why only on the west side of all of these places is what I'd like to know, too?

Because of exposure to the afternoon Sun?

Building orientation on site. Residual heat from sun for west side. Most weather in my area and that area is from south and west. I can sit in the street and watch hoary frost move around these houses.

We also see the stain as green on occasion and really black when the building is in wide open fields that have lots of palaces and no trees.

The same ghosting is common for us on nearly all vinyl siding. Especially that siding that is directly on foam and no tyvek.

Tom says it is ghosting which is soot.

Les says it is black or sometimes green, that is algae growth.

Which is it? I can't tell from here. We need a swab sample. [:)]

I've noticed black soot ghosting where there is a busy road close by. Carbon from diesel engines. and maybe dust from brake pads.

Algae stains, we have plenty of that here. But like Jim, I've not seen it concentrated above windows like that.

I bet it has more to do with those being bedrooms than it does with the windows facing west. Bedrooms are often small, heavily occupied rooms. It could also be the case that those rooms have supply registers but no returns, leading them to be slightly pressurized when the doors are closed and the heat's on, causing exfiltration.

I bet it has more to do with those being bedrooms than it does with the windows facing west. Bedrooms are often small, heavily occupied rooms. It could also be the case that those rooms have supply registers but no returns, leading them to be slightly pressurized when the doors are closed and the heat's on, causing exfiltration.

That is a good thought.

The color really is only an indicator or what is contained in the air; soot, lead from exhaust, rubber fines, algae, etc. Likely there is mold and the entire neighborhood should be warned and evacuated.

I am sure it is air, warm air or at least conditioned air.

Thanks David for the new info and thinking.

*info means information (for Kurt)