Bad crack

Denray

After all this I want to clarify what is in the OP picture.

Is it what I call the service lateral before it connects with the service entrance at the mast head?

That's what it looks like to me. In which case it's nobody's business but the POCO.

What I see damaged all the time is the outside bundle wrap of the SEC, but that is past the meter base.

In my area, the term "service lateral" refers to underground services, while "service drop" refers to those that run overhead. Also, around here, the demarcation line for the POCO is the splice where the service drop wires transition to the service entrance wires that form the drip loop. Any damage to the wires at the drip loop - even though it's before the meter - is the responsibility of the homeowner.

After all this I want to clarify what is in the OP picture.

Is it what I call the service lateral before it connects with the service entrance at the mast head?

That's what it looks like to me. In which case it's nobody's business but the POCO.

What I see damaged all the time is the outside bundle wrap of the SEC, but that is past the meter base.

Those cracks look to be in the sec heading down to the meter socket based on the larger size. If so they would be customer supplied and not the POCO's responsibility.