Damp in-law basment Apt

Lemon

Found some spots in the closet in a musty smelling finished basement in-law apartment that showed up when I took a picture with the flash on, but don't seem very visible during the daylight. This closet shares the wall with the bathroom; all the clothes in it smell musty, too. The unit has a dehumidifier, but that doesn't eliminate the musty smell.

Been living here a week; day 4 began dry coughing, day 6 had serious sinus issues, dizziness, lymph pain day 7 once it began raining. The place seemed well taken care of, but that doesn't mean there aren't other issues. Yellow mold? What do you think?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015913133357_IMG_9920.jpg

61.02 KB

What Erby said. Basement apartments can be mold farms. Let me rephrase that. Old basement apartments are usually mold farms.

Don't worry about the type of mold. It doesn't matter. It isn't good for you, and you're feeling it.

No way to fix it without gutting the place and rebuilding it with moisture management in mind. I'd put the landlord on notice that you're going. If they give you any crap, the next communication should be from your attorney.

Sorry for the bad news.

I'm always amused when folks see some spots on a wall and they immediately get multiple health symptoms they found on the internet.

With all the crap I crawl around in almost every day, I should have been dead decades ago.

American Journal of Industrial Medicine 26: 597-612. Ford, C.V. 1997. ?Somatization and Fashionable Diagnoses: Illness as a Way of Life.?

Ford (1997) described characteristics of what he labeled as ?fashionable illnesses.? Fashionable illnesses are characterized by vague, subjective multi-system complaints, a lack of objective laboratory findings, quasi-scientific explanations, overlap from one fashionable diagnosis to another, symptoms consistent with depression or anxiety or both, and denial of sychosocial distress or attribution of it to the illness. According to Ford, fashionable diagnoses represent a heterogeneous collection of physical diseases, somatization, and anxiety or depression. Patients obtain knowledge and beliefs about their medically unexplained conditions from a variety of sources including self-help groups, literature, and the Internet, and they often express skepticism with mainstream medicine (Staudenmayer, 2001; Wessely, 1997). This rejection of mainstream medical thinking by patients is not surprising, because many experts believe that these conditions are either of disputed origin or surrogates for psychological disorders.

• 8 months later...