Are You Seeing A Slowdown?

hausdok

Hi All,

Over the past few months I've been noticing a general cooling off of the real estate market in my area. Nothing overwhelming, just what looks like a gradual lessening of activity. The Seattle paper has had a number of articles of late about it as well.

It occurred to me that with this happening the inspection profession would probably see some companies working on margin go under, so I googled around to see what the chatter is on the web about it and found this. I almost couldn't believe it when I didn't see Seattle listed here. Guess we missed that bullet.

Check it out and see where you are.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Oooookay,

Now that was weird. I must have experienced some kind of mental block 'cuz I scanned that list 3 or 4 times looking for Seattle. Guess I'm ready for the looney bin. [:-banghea

Well, I can't say I'm turning work away, but I have been busier than I've been this time of the year over the past few years. Of course, I've been attributing that to the fact that my referral base is finally nearing the numbers it was at before my fall in 2000 and the subsequent sale of my previous company in January 2001. A lot of my previous clients, who contacted the franchiser looking for me when they were ready to purchase again, thought I'd moved away because they were told I was no longer in the business and had moved away. It's taken a while to get back again.

An article in the Seattle paper about a week to 10 days ago talked about how sales in November had been down from November of 2004 but that the price of homes in the region was still up - over 7% I think. Not being very good with numbers, I've been trying to figure out how this will affect home inspectors locally, because we're trying to plan an extensive H.I. course for the community college where I teach. Money is pretty tight for new programs - they've already cut some that have been around for decades - and it won't fly unless it looks like the market will support it.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Mid-Michigan, Grand Rapids thru Detroit, is down real estate saleswise about 20% by my reckoning. We are at our normal pace, but have seen many one man inspection operations go under or go dormant. We were saturated with inspectors, so that is to be expected. '06 looks like 5% growth for us. We are not numbers experts, however have decades of figures to work with and usually they are pretty accurate.

Look at the variation in median home price. It runs from just over $70,000 to more than $750,000...oy!

I've been really slow the last two months, but they're just starting ground work on a huge new sheet steel plant that's going to be a big shot in the arm for the whole area (used mostly for automobile production). I'm looking for a good year in 2006.

Brian G.

Hope Springs Eternal [:-thumbu]

Originally posted by paul burrell

By the way does anyone out there ever call yourself on your business phone to see if it is working[:-slaphap.

Paul Burrell

Last December I did almost every day. I thought my phone had been disconnected, my office manager ran away with the milkman, and my picture was hung in all the local post offices!

Then in January, the phone magically started ringing again!

Lurker Alert....Lurker Alert...

I have been a member of this board for? I don't know..a long time.

I have only posted one or two times.

As far as checking the phone line...DO IT!

I noticed a precipitous drop in business in November. Jokingly, I asked my son if the phones were working. He said "aw Dad, lighten up".

Around three days later, an E-mail from a Realtor Friend questioned why my office phone would ring only once and then disconnect.

HOLY CRAP!!!

I had been making outgoing calls with no problem.

When I called my office from the cell phone, sure enough, one ring and disconnect!!!

A call to my phone company confirmed that there was a problem. In fact, a problem that they were aware of for a week or more. (get it? they could not call me to let me know..)

All office lines were transfered to my home phone lines and the bookings flowed like water from a 1950's American Standard bath faucet!

I have NO idea how much business i lost.

The phone company has agreed to credit my office bill for one month of service.

The moral of the story...

A) Reach out and touch yourself occasionally.(phone wise)

B) Never listen to a twenty-something.

Tom English

Guardian Angel Home Inspections

Originally posted by Tom English

Lurker Alert....Lurker Alert...

I have been a member of this board for? I don't know..a long time.

I have only posted one or two times.

As far as checking the phone line...DO IT!

I noticed a precipitous drop in business in November. Jokingly, I asked my son if the phones were working. He said "aw Dad, lighten up".

Around three days later, an E-mail from a Realtor Friend questioned why my office phone would ring only once and then disconnect.

HOLY CRAP!!!

I bet youse guys thought I was joking but I call myself on a regular basis as needed.[:-bigeyes.

Small business people must cover all the bases [^]

Moral of story:

If one want's to feel secure punch a time clock. If one want's to occasionally feel anxiety be a small business person.

I had rather be a small business person because it always averages out and I get to play golf, ride my harley davidson, fish in my back yard pond and just plain goof off when things are slow. There will be plenty of time to work when the phone starts ringing.

Paul Burrell

Most of my fellow home inspectors in this area tell me they are slower than last year at this time. For me the November and December inspection calls are less than last year.

My architecture business is busier than last year. My experience is that the houses have gotten so expensive around here that more and more people are choosing to renovate instead of moving.

I am just getting through my first year in buisness. Mid November bookings were down and December has been dismal. I am towards the bottom of the pecking order here with plenty of vetrans in the area. I am hoping to survive the culling of the herd. We have plenty of newbies offering sub $200 dollar inspections that probably won't make it through the winter. I am going to resist the temptation of the dark side.

Looking forward to when my referral base is built up enough to keep the phone ringing. Working on a direct mail campaign to hopefully jump start spring sales.

Better Days Coming

Carl Eisen

Appletree Home Inspections LLC

It has picked up after a dismal September and October, thanks to Katrina. I have also noticed that we have had many inspectors get out of the business as this was a license renewal year for many. I am call it a cleansing period, this phenomenon happens every two years in Mississippi! But the upside is that it has also increased business for the old timers, like Brian![;)]

In the Metrowest area of Boston--12/01 to 2/10 seem to be the slowest for me. I do not do many condos so that may be a reason. Good excuse to golf/hang out in Florida during Jan and Feb. I bring my phone but leave my tool bucket home.

Will be in attendance in Ft Lauderdale for the ASHI National thingy.IRC during the day and Guinesses at night at the Clipper. Some of the ASHI-NE guys going. Should be good (warm).

Happy Holidays--I hope its all right to say that??[:-banghea

Jack Ahern Needham on the Charles

Bridgton,Maine

"It has picked up after a dismal September and October, thanks to Katrina. I have also noticed that we have had many inspectors get out of the business as this was a license renewal year for many. I am call it a cleansing period, this phenomenon happens every two years in Mississippi! But the upside is that it has also increased business for the old timers, like Brian!"

It's cooking on my side of town. With the In-Laws in from Orlando and Sis-in law from Austria I had hoped to take the week off. I closed shop for Friday an started booking next week. Like Scott said "Katrina Killed" but there were other avenues to bring in $.

Merry Christmas to All

Merry Christmas Hausdok!!! And all my "brothers in arms"............

November and December have been unseasonably busy!!! I have not even done my taxes yet, and my last 4 inspections required me to bring a snow shovel and disclaim the roof!!!

I'd say 3-4x more busy than last year, and I'm not complaining one bit.....although I did want to go to Mexico and soak up some sun and tequilla......hopefully in January or February.

Hey Kurt, If you are really turning some business away, I love coming into Chicago for inspections......hint, hint........

As far as the market, From Woodstock to Oswego, and Marango to Chicago, the builders can't put them up fast enough..........

Prosperity and Health to all in the New Year!!!