Is this EIFS?

Denray

Second time I've seen this kind of stuff. Is this EIFS?

EIFS done wrong?

Looks like water stains below that overhang?

Window detail wrong?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016412195230_AF.jpg

72.52 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016412195312_AE.jpg

43.15 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016412195356_AD.jpg

48.43 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016412195435_AC.jpg

53.36 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016412195459_AB.jpg

53.89 KB

Jeez, what a mess. I see horizontal surfaces pretty regularly in residential and always recommend a complete strip and do over, even on new construction. The horizontal surfaces degrade rapidly, leak and eventually cause mold growth on the inside of the wall.

Note: All foam trim and projecting architectural features must have a minimum 1:2 [27 degree] slope along their top surface. All horizontal reveals must have a minimum 1:2 [27 degree] slope along their bottom surface. Increase slope for northern climates to prevent accumulation of ice/snow and water on surface. Where trim/feature or bottom surface of reveal projects more than 2 inches (51 mm) from the face of the wall plane, protect the weather exposed sloped surface with waterproof base coat. Avoid the use of trim and features that exceed the maximum allowable thickness of foam permitted by code (typically 4 inches [100 mm]) unless approved by the code official. Periodic inspections and increased maintenance may be required to maintain surface integrity of finish on sloped weather exposed surfaces. Limit projecting features to easily accessible areas and limit total area to facilitate maintenance and minimize maintenance burden. Refer to Sto details.

The horiz surfaces are just the beginning.

Marc

I've seen some with flashing, coming from behind stucco on vertical face and going over the horizontal detail, (can't find a pic right now) that must help some? I know I can't see it but shouldn't house wrap be on top of flashing behind EIFS?

Yes, all WRB's and flashing should be "shingled" over anything below it. "On top" is sort of correct, but it's not precise. The shingling term better describes the method.

I thought there were a couple engineering studies and at least one manufacturer that came out against using EIFS for architectural detailing. No quoins, horizontal bands, or similarly grotesque fake details with EIFS. I used to have a link to an article about this, but it's buried somewhere in the link library.

Does anyone else remember that or have a link?

I've seen some with flashing, coming from behind stucco on vertical face and going over the horizontal detail, (can't find a pic right now) that must help some? I know I can't see it but shouldn't house wrap be on top of flashing behind EIFS?

Yes, all WRB's and flashing should be "shingled" over anything below it. "On top" is sort of correct, but it's not precise. The shingling term better describes the method.

Imbricated

Imbricated

I recall hearing that word from a leather elbow patched tweed jacketed pipe smoking ichthyologist, wearing Hush Puppie loafers. Erudition worn lightly, and with accompanying normal language, is the best kind.

I like words people know. Otherwise, I'm the guy in the Hush Puppies.

Imbricated

I recall hearing that word from a leather elbow patched tweed jacketed pipe smoking ichthyologist, wearing Hush Puppie loafers. Erudition worn lightly, and with accompanying normal language, is the best kind.

I like words people know. Otherwise, I'm the guy in the Hush Puppies.

You're hilarious. You, quite possibly are the most ostentatious wordsmith I have ever communicated with, bar none. There is no shame in the elegant choice for best word for the purpose- we're not talking to third graders, we're talking to adults fully capable of looking up a word.

I specifically remember learning ichthyologist from a BC comic strip by Johnny Hart. I learned erudite from, I think, you.

As Les said:yer ass.

It's a comfort to be dismissed out of hand. There is no way of proving what happened in the past, and I would rather be thought an ostentatious liar than a bore.

Achieving irrelevancy is an oddly agreeable condition. Being dismissed by home inspectors is it's own stamp of validation.

I mean, think about this. It's not enough for HI's to use words that no one knows or wants to look up. For HI's, one has to be proud and insist on contradicting all good writing practice, described in every manual of style or writing guideline. It's almost inscribed as canon in the HI world that to be obtuse and confusing is desirable and commendable.

It's time to move on.....

A friend who has a license to host CE classes is giving me a chance to lecture to HI's for the first time. Several topics come to mind including basic report writing. Bits and pieces of the Chicago Manual of Style along with canons I've learned from folks here will come together cohesively to introduce a Manual of Style for HIs. It might enlighten some ...or I could simply get dismissed, and labeled irrelevant.

I gots to try.

Marc

A friend who has a license to host CE classes is giving me a chance to lecture to HI's for the first time. Several topics come to mind including basic report writing. Bits and pieces of the Chicago Manual of Style along with canons I've learned from folks here will come together cohesively to introduce a Manual of Style for HIs. It might enlighten some ...or I could simply get dismissed, and labeled irrelevant.

I gots to try.

Marc

Do it. Do it as much as you can. Write a lot. Make mistakes. Write stuff that upon review, you think is as lousy as the people reading it think it is. If you get someone to make comments such as calling you an ostentatious asshole, liar, and provocateur, then you're making headway.

Additionally, HI's are living in the last century. Reading, always a problem with the average American, is sliding even further into irrelevancy. This is not a lament, it is a fact.

If 1/10 of the literature about the direction of media and presentation is true, and I know that it is, then what you really want to be integrating into your classes is the effective use of pictorial presentation.

I drink coffee with the guy that runs McDonalds Corporation annual meeting in Orlando. 16,000 attendees, and they have to get ideas across. How do they do it?

Not with words. As few words as possible. Pictures telling a story highlighted with keywords. Red arrows pointing at what's relevant. PowerPoint is beyond yesterday. Active images integrated with ideas presented as a story is now and into the future.

What words you do use should be as selective as your media. It ain't about the words, it's the visuals and the story. That's how people learn.