Holmes Inspections

They are or were predominantly in Ontario. A few years ago now, I saw some ads for inspectors in the West to join the flock, but that is all.

From what I recall hearing, the franchise is quick to throw you under the bus if you screw up. The fees are high because the overhead is unbearable. This is hearsay.

I would consider purchasing the Bobblehead doll, if anyone knows of one.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys charge to look at a house?

Cripe, I have been giving those new home owners a few bucks, just for the learning experience!

No wonder it is a skinny Christmas!

I tried to watch his new infomercial from Colorado and made it for a few minutes. He is an ass on those programs.

I never got the "charge more for old houses" thing. We know how old house materials and systems work; we've got a few centuries of information to base our opinions upon. Some of the new stuff is way more complicated to figure out and harder to explain, largely because people can't believe new houses can have problems.

As the market changes, the newer stuff is more difficult, for us.

Smart phone technology (thermostats, lights, door openers, etc.) Good golly; I is too old for this stuff.

I will admit that the new technology sometimes eludes me. I remain sharp enough to know when to defer on some of that stuff. Deferring is difficult because for many decades I was the inspector that was critical of wholesale deffering; "have qualified professional inspect" - Always got grouchy when inspectors did that 15-20 times per report!

I always felt, and feel, they are paying me for my opinion, not another persons.

I'm with you Les. I seldom defer. It's broke. Have it, along with any other issues found while conducting repairs, fixed by a "whichever contractor".

And if I do have to defer, I'm after education so I don't have to the next time I see it.

There are several around here whose reports read like wholesale deferral.

Have a qualified roofer fully evaluate the roof.

Have a qualified siding contractor fully evaluate the siding.

Have a qualified plumber fully evaluate the plumbing system.

Have a qualified electrician fully evaluate the electrical system.

Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor fully evaluate the heating and cooling system.

Have a qualified insulation contractor fully evaluate the insulation.

Have a qualified structural engineer fully evaluate the foundation and structure.

Etc.

Don't know how they stay in business but a few of them do, though a lot of them don't.

I'm with you Les. I seldom defer. It's broke. Have it, along with any other issues found while conducting repairs, fixed by a "whichever contractor".

And if I do have to defer, I'm after education so I don't have to the next time I see it.

Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor fully evaluate the heating and cooling system.

Have a qualified structural engineer fully evaluate the foundation and structure.

Etc.

Don't know how they stay in business but a few of them do, though a lot of them don't.

They are still in business as they only charge $250 per inspection. The "drive-by" inspectors are alive and well all over.

Etc.

They are still in business as they only charge $250 per inspection. The "drive-by" inspectors are alive and well all over.

Yeah, but sometimes it's because the 'client' is practically the agent, who's as happy as a clam at high tide when such a reporting style ends up translating as protection for the agent's commission.

Marc