Jump to content

Clearance to combustibles.


Recommended Posts

I've never seen a dryer fire either but according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers.

I had a woman tell me that when she was a kid they had a dryer fire caused by a mouse nest in the vent (presumably) constructed while they were on vacation. Don't newer dryers have thermal fuses to prevent this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious...

I've seen problems with single wall pipe, but has anyone ever seen problems with double wall (B vent) piping closer than 1" to combustibles? Honestly, in 17 years I can't recall that I ever have.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201711701126_Warm_B_Vent%20(1).jpg

28.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201711701144_Warm_B_Vent%20(2).jpg

25.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201711701159_Warm_B_Vent%20(3).jpg

24.72 KB

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen a dryer fire either but according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers.

I finally found one last year. I kept smelling something burning, looked and looked, finally found this weird little mechanical space behind a closet, found the plastic duct snaking through there, felt it, kinda warm, then when I lifted it slightly, it kinda melted/fell apart, and all the smoldering that had been going on inside burst into flame. Then it was me frantically stamping out a bunch of little lint brush fires.

The client just stood there with their mouth in a little "O" shape..... I got to look smart that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My dryer started on fire, but not as most would imagine. The drum bushing went bad an lint was blowing around the drum into the cabinet, collected on the drum bearing ( a steel ball joint in a HDPE socket with high temperature grease) until there was enough fuel and friction to ignite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a restaurant a few years back.. (Mcd "Type" of structure, trusses, mansard roof,etc).

The baking-oven (for bagels) was disconnected in the attic.. Massive char going on all over the place....a 'Study in Pyrolysis" .... It's the only inspection where I told the occupant that I was sorry... but next stop (for me) was the FD... they (FD and occupant) thanked me.. :) ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...