Clearance to combustibles.

Mike Lamb

I've never seen a dryer fire either but according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers.

I had a woman tell me that when she was a kid they had a dryer fire caused by a mouse nest in the vent (presumably) constructed while they were on vacation. Don't newer dryers have thermal fuses to prevent this?

I've never seen a dryer fire either but according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers.

I finally found one last year. I kept smelling something burning, looked and looked, finally found this weird little mechanical space behind a closet, found the plastic duct snaking through there, felt it, kinda warm, then when I lifted it slightly, it kinda melted/fell apart, and all the smoldering that had been going on inside burst into flame. Then it was me frantically stamping out a bunch of little lint brush fires.

The client just stood there with their mouth in a little "O" shape..... I got to look smart that day.

I did a restaurant a few years back.. (Mcd "Type" of structure, trusses, mansard roof,etc).

The baking-oven (for bagels) was disconnected in the attic.. Massive char going on all over the place....a 'Study in Pyrolysis" .... It's the only inspection where I told the occupant that I was sorry... but next stop (for me) was the FD... they (FD and occupant) thanked me.. :) ...