Jump to content

Desperately Seeking Susan's Lens


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I think Jim K. is desperate for a lens, because he's mentioned it in a couple of posts in other threads. So, if anyone can help him, he's apparently looking for an:

85mm, F1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lens with original caps and leather case.

Let's help him out before he starts sticking up camera stores.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi All,

I think Jim K. is desperate for a lens, because he's mentioned it in a couple of posts in other threads. So, if anyone can help him, he's apparently looking for an:

85mm, F1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lens with original caps and leather case.

Let's help him out before he starts sticking up camera stores.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Not desperate. Just covetous. I've been after one for years. No hurry. Waiting is part of the hunt.

- Jim in Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Gerry Beaumont

Hi to all.

Ya'll gotta love ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Multicoated-T ... dZViewItem

Regards

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I hadn't seen that one yet. I scan evil-bay daily for cameras, lenses and related stuff so it wouldn't have evaded me for long. There are now two auctions for 85mm lenses on my watch list.

While I've snagged some spectacular deals on e-bay camera stuff, I've consistently come up empty on the 85mm front. These babies are rare enough that people bid them up to a rather high degree. Lately, in the past year or so, there's been a rash of buyers from Hong Kong & Japan who seem happy to bid ridiculous sums for Takumar lenses.

The trick is to find them mixed in with lots that contain a bunch of other stuff.

I also occasionally find them selling for very little in junk shops and backwater pawn shops.

The lens you pointed out will probably end up selling for between $300 and $400 on e-bay. Two years ago you could easily pick one up for $125. In the 1990s you could get them for $20.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Gerry Beaumont

Hi to all.

Ya'll gotta love ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Multicoated-T ... dZViewItem

Regards

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I hadn't seen that one yet. I scan evil-bay daily for cameras, lenses and related stuff so it wouldn't have evaded me for long. There are now two auctions for 85mm lenses on my watch list.

While I've snagged some spectacular deals on e-bay camera stuff, I've consistently come up empty on the 85mm front. These babies are rare enough that people bid them up to a rather high degree. Lately, in the past year or so, there's been a rash of buyers from Hong Kong & Japan who seem happy to bid ridiculous sums for Takumar lenses.

The trick is to find them mixed in with lots that contain a bunch of other stuff.

I also occasionally find them selling for very little in junk shops and backwater pawn shops.

The lens you pointed out will probably end up selling for between $300 and $400 on e-bay. Two years ago you could easily pick one up for $125. In the 1990s you could get them for $20.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The lens Gerry pointed out to me sold today for $338 to a buyer in China.

A similar one that I bid on earlier in the day went for $308. I was outbid in the last 16 seconds of that auction.

Another is coming up on Saturday, but I don't hold out much hope since I'm not willing to spend that much. Prices on the bay have gotten out of hand lately. In the meantime, I'll be prowling pawnshops on the seedy side of town.

Back to the hunt . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jim,

thanks for the update, shame prices are getting out of hand. I have been seeing the same thing on Ebay, prices are getting very silly with some stuff making far higher prices than I would expect.

Better luck next-time, but what will you do for laughs after you have bought one? The thrill is in the chase!

Regards

Gerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by Gerry Beaumont

Hi Jim,

thanks for the update, shame prices are getting out of hand. I have been seeing the same thing on Ebay, prices are getting very silly with some stuff making far higher prices than I would expect. . .

Update.

Here's the latest example of this lens to sell on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

A month ago they were selling for $300-$400. This one went for $890.

Whoa, Nellie!

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...