commom problems with realtors

CheckItOut

I'm in the process of starting my HI business and have been working with a local HI and noticed one problem that seems commom. I'll describe that one and wonder what other common issues there are. I'm trying to avoid issues that create problems if at all possible.

Two houses this past month were vacant and neither had utilities turned on prior to the inspection. The inspector told the buyer's realtor to make sure everything would be on each time.

The solution I came up with would be to contact the seller's realtor yourself and explain the importance and tell them of the insection date.

What other common problems are there and what are some solutions?

I always contact the listing agent to ensure utilities are on for vacant house.

I also mention it to the buyers to request that the utilities need to be on since they have more power with the realtors than the lowly inspector.

Most realtors will handle, but some are too busy to be bothered, so the more times they hear the message, the better.

When I arrive, I inspect.

If the utilities are off, I inspect what I can and will reinspect the remainder for a fee. (I would mention to your client that failure to provide access and utilities is normally spelled out in the contract and they might want to look to the offending realtor for reimbursment of any additional fee).

Once or twice, the resident was not informed of an inspection and were quite irate when they came home to find an inspector and buyer in their house. Again, contact both sides' Realtors and confirm time, dates and access.

Jim

Originally posted by allspec33351

Also if she looks pregnant don't congratulate her she may just be large.

Yep,

Did that once. Never heard from her again. Saw her at a home she'd listed once after that. As soon as she saw me get out of my vehicle, she walked over to her car, got in and split. Don't know if it's because she knew it was pointless to try and manipulate what I was saying or 'cuz she was still miffed for my having congratulated her for a forthcoming parenthood that wasn't actually pending.

Oh well, I've told myself not to dwell on it. If she really cared about her appearance, she wouldn't have developed a beer gut (Hmmm, come to think of it, neither would I, for that matter. Buurrrrp.).

OT - OF!!!

M.

JC,

In Michigan, we have little or no contact with listing agents. I like it that way. My agreement is with the potential buyer or potential seller and no other person. The only exception is if it were a fsbo and the buyer was not represented - then we would make a call to be sure utilities were on.

Why do you only deal with 1979 and newer Mustangs? Do you broker stuff or actually maintain an inventory? Just wondering.

I'm in the process of starting my HI business and have been working with a local HI and noticed one problem that seems commom. I'll describe that one and wonder what other common issues there are. I'm trying to avoid issues that create problems if at all possible.

Two houses this past month were vacant and neither had utilities turned on prior to the inspection. The inspector told the buyer's realtor to make sure everything would be on each time.

The solution I came up with would be to contact the seller's realtor yourself and explain the importance and tell them of the insection date.

What other common problems are there and what are some solutions?

Concerning the utilities on or off issue I don't usually concern myself with it these days.

It doesn't normally come up on FSBO's. It happens a lot on bank owned REPOs.

I would try and get information up front about the house like is it occupied or not. If its vacant then its time to consider asking and if its a bank repo then you can just about count on one or more utilities being turned off especially in the winter.

If they are turned off don't sweat it. Its not your fault. I don't know about the rest of the brotheren but if the utilites off and they want me to continue then I continue but I would definitely make it clear that there will be a supplementary inspection charge to come back out and complete your evaluation. Just be clear in your initial report what you were not able to do.

As far as common problems with realtors in general I had a lot more complaints when I first started in this biz. Later you learn to work around the ones common to your region. Understand that RE law can be very different state to state.

One of my biggest headaches was getting phone calls from the seller or sellers agent questioning what I was trying to say in the report.

Jim Katen and the other greats here have been an immense help at restructuring my poorly worded narrative which has resulted in a substantial drop in such calls.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Les

JC,

Why do you only deal with 1979 and newer Mustangs? Do you broker stuff or actually maintain an inventory? Just wondering.

I used to sell Late Model Mustang performance parts but sold the business a few years ago. That site is just a left over of an experiment that really did not work.

Jim Katen and the other greats

Oh good Lord, that's just wonderful. Now we all have to aspire to be great so we can be one of the "others"

Had Chris been a little less complimentary Jim might have been satisfied having used the word "antediluvian" in a post, but now I'm afraid that was only the beginning.

I originally thought Chris was insinuating that Jim had ties with the ACLU but I re-read the sentence that I thought said: Jim Katen and the other ingrates.

My bad.

Hi, i was wondering what is FSBO? I've seen it here but haven't figured it out yet...LOL! It's hard to get the total concept of something.

FSBO For Sale By Owner

Oh good Lord, that's just wonderful. Now we all have to aspire to be great so we can be one of the "others"

You guys are all great. I am extremely appreciative of all the advice I get from TIJ and I don't think that that can be said enough.

Thanks out to all of the brethren!

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Jim Katen and the other greats

Had Chris been a little less complimentary Jim might have been satisfied having used the word "antediluvian" in a post, but now I'm afraid that was only the beginning.

Hey, I though he was referring to my girth.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, there's got to be considerable muscle under there. Figure skating won't let muscle atrophy. You serious about Tonya?

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by ozofprev

Girth? Aren't you a figure skater?

Yep. I'm a fat figure skater.

Came in handy when I collided with Tonya Harding. It was like she hit a mattress.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by ozofprev

Well, there's got to be considerable muscle under there. Figure skating won't let muscle atrophy.

Only in my legs.

You serious about Tonya?

Yeah, actually. I was practicing footwork moving counter-clockwise around the rink and she was moving clockwise, winding up for a jump. Blam. Skaters often run into each other, so it's not a big deal. No one was hurt and we both apologized.

But I must admit I was nervous walking through the deserted parking structure to my car later that evening.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

As far as the Zoids are concerned inspectors are an evil to be dealt with.

As far as inspectors are concerned Zoids are an evil to be dealt with.

It appears to be 6 one way and 1/2 dozen the other. We can either live with it and deal with it or find another means of making a living. I personally am considering going back to pushing a hunkie cart.[:-crazy] I know there has to be someone out there that knows what a hunkie cart is.

Paul B.