cordless screwdriver

CheckItOut

I wondered if you could recommend a battery screwdriver that would be used to remove screws on electrical panels. I have a large pistol style driver that has plenty of power but I am trying to cut down on weight and bulk in my tool box. Sears has one that puts out 175 in / lbs but it is one speed and I think that will be a pain. Thanks>

I have one of the palm-sized li-ion drivers. I mostly use it when I have to check out HVAC stuff in attics and crawls. The battery lasts a long time and the gearing is surprizingly strong, but speed it ain't got. I also carry a DeWalt 7.2 in the bag for bigger jobs. Love those tools. [:-angel]

Brian G.

Current Total: 5 Battery & 2 Electric Drills [:-thumbu]

I just use a plain old screw driver. I am not as smart as you guys. I lost a really nice dewalt for good a few years ago. I was always leaving it behind. Had the same problem with flashlights. Now I use just one of those cheap multi tip drivers that easily fits in my back pocket.

Tip - put all your stuff away before you go in the crawlspace. At least for me when I come out my IQ plummets to about 60 or 70 and I start mumbling. I almost always do the crawl last. I think the lack of oxygen to my brain plus the fact I was always getting side track by the client and zoid as soon as I got out of the hole was the problem.

My habit now is to put it all away first and to excuse my self until I am more composed after I get out of the hole.

Chris, Oregon

I tried a variety of powered screwdrivers but finally dumped them all for a crank-type screwdriver that I bought at an electrical supply store.

It's got a 1/4 inch magnetic hex socket and holds whatever type of bit I want to use. I have a bit cube that holds a few hundred bits plus various sized nut driver bits. Way faster than a regular screwdriver and no bulky battery-powered driver to haul around.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Like many of the others I use a palm sized (not bulky Mike[:-magnify) Li ion. Bought it when they first came out. Keep a second in the truck to swap out when the battery dies OTJ.

It's done wonders for relief of my carpal tunnel.

Since I don't have the height of a tree it also helps with the top screws in tall panels.

Originally posted by Bob White

Is that a regional term, or am I ignorant (or both, I guess)?

Relax Bob, I do believe it's just a ratcheting screwdriver, or maybe we both are in the same boat.

I have a Black & Decker about 5 years old. It holds a charge, because I hardly use it. I use a regular screwdriver when I take off a panel. I been doing it for years and have no complaints. The way I figure it, either way I'll most likely drop a screw or 2, no matter what I use.

Originally posted by Bob White

What's a crank type screwdriver? Is that a ratcheting driver?

No, it's exactly what I said it was, a crank type screwdriver. It's got an offset handle, like a brace and bit, and it's very fast.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Quote:Originally posted by hausdok

Quote:Originally posted by Bob White

What's a crank type screwdriver? Is that a ratcheting driver?

No, it's exactly what I said it was, a crank type screwdriver. It's got an offset handle, like a brace and bit, and it's very fast.

OT - OF!!!

M.

A two fisted tool . . .

Chad - I just got a Hitachi lithium-ion cordless that I love (except for the fact that the first one stopped working after I dropped it a couple times). The Lithium battery is amazing, compared to my previous re-chargeable. It has a light for those dark basements. Not very heavy. Here's an Amazon listing for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL-3-6 ... B000H2P05Q . I got it at Lowes for under $70.

Originally posted by fqp25

The way I figure it, either way I'll most likely drop a screw or 2, no matter what I use.

Ah, but that's what they make powerful magnetic bit holders for. They often help when you're trying to get the screws back in too.

Brian G.

Telescoping Magnetic Pick-Up as a Back-Up [:-thumbu]

Chad - I just got a Hitachi lithium-ion cordless that I love (except for the fact that the first one stopped working after I dropped it a couple times). The Lithium battery is amazing, compared to my previous re-chargeable. It has a light for those dark basements. Not very heavy. Here's an Amazon listing for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL-3-6 ... B000H2P05Q . I got it at Lowes for under $70.

Thanks for that John, my old Snap-On is an anachronism now, left over from a previous life and refusing to die. It's pushing 20 years old and was cutting edge technology when I bought it for the then oppressive price of 139 dollars.

I'll replace it when necessary but I'm as comfortable with it as I am with my old dog.

It's very nice to see you posting here!

Sometimes I drop the screws even with the magnetic tips and holders. I need a real powerful electro-magnet.

Ah Heck, the other day I even dropped my telescopic magnet behind a washer, trying to retrieve a screw, and my screw diver. I did mention clearance in front of the panel in my report after that.

Ol' Butterfingers that day...