Assistance with amperage rating for house

Mark P

What is the amperage of this set up? The attached pic is from today's inspection, home built in 1961. The top fuse block is the stove (50 amp) the next one down is the a/c (40 amp), the square one in the middle has 60 amp fuses in it. I don't know the gage of the main wire coming in, it was the original tined copper in rubber sheathing, so could be 60 or 100? The box itself was rated at 150amp. In determining the amperage for the house I went with the least common dominator the 60 amp main fuse block. I indicated this was substandard, outdated and should be updated – also have a sparky evaluate and provide cost estimate of upgrade before closing, blah blah blah. A little while ago I get a call from the realtor saying the city has inspected the home recently and according to them the house has 100 amps available. She nicely asked if I was sure because if in fact it is only 60 amps the deal might fall through. I certainly want provide accurate info so I sure would appreciate any educated opinion on what this houses amperage is. In the morning I will try and call the city inspector to get his take on the set up. I understand with some set ups you add the amps of different fuse blocks together, but the more I think about it the more I’m not sure in the case.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1.jpg

115 KB

This is total shot in the dark stuff because I can't tell for sure from the photo, but.......

It looks like #3 or #4 copper coming into the panel from the conduit @ the upper left. That would put it @ 100 amps.

In determining the amperage for the house I went with the least common dominator the 60 amp main fuse block.
No - that's just the overcurrent/disconnect for the 120v circuits below.

The SEC looks like a 4, when comparing it to the dimensions of the other conductors.

The major concern I would have is the unfused tap off the main lugs.

200752193620_sectap.JPG%20

I hate responding to electrical Qs when there's a Jim Katen around.

Yes, the tap @ the main lugs, the "fuse breaker", no room on panel, probably a multitude of other stupid stuff......

I'd tell 'em it's 100 amps, but the equipment has multiple defects or inadequacies, describe a few, and tell the customer to get new equipment.

Originally posted by AHIS

What is the amperage of this set up? The attached pic is from today's inspection, home built in 1961. The top fuse block is the stove (50 amp) the next one down is the a/c (40 amp), the square one in the middle has 60 amp fuses in it. I don't know the gage of the main wire coming in, it was the original tined copper in rubber sheathing, so could be 60 or 100? The box itself was rated at 150amp.

The service wires are at least #4, probably bigger. That would make this at least a 100-amp service.

The biggest problem I see in the picture is the one Bill Kibbel pointed out - the improper taps at the main lugs.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by allspec33351

The sec looks like aluminum to me.

Captain

No, it is tinned copper.

Another question. The double tap off the main lug goes to a 30 amp breaker, subpannel. Since it does have overload protection I did not write it up - is this correct?

Originally posted by AHIS

. . . Another question. The double tap off the main lug goes to a 30 amp breaker, subpannel. Since it does have overload protection I did not write it up - is this correct?

The problem is that the lugs aren't listed to hold two separate wires.

- Jim Katen, Oregon