my sample mock report

Swamp,

Lots of great advice, much I will use. About the red text. It does draw attention, thats the point. Same reason for bold right? I will remove caps and exclaimation points. The red text I plan to retain. To me it sort of inserts a summary report inside of the full report. So much of the stuff people will just glance over anyway. They want to know what you think is wrong. The red text leads them like a beacon. Because of this I have learned from you and others on here that what I say and how I say in red text is very important.

Suit yourself, but please consider this: Name one high-class, reputable publication that regularly has red text in it. (Bible doesn't count in this context.)

WJ

Thousands and thousands of "experienced" inspectors are putting out absolutely horrible reports every day.

Probably around 50 - 60 produce something of real value to their clients.

A handful write detailed, understandable documents that are retained and reviewed by their clients until the next real estate purchase. Their clients show it to their friends, families and co-workers and they'll use it to instruct contractors performing repairs. There are some folks here at TIJ that write that kind of report, and it's not generated from software boilerplate. Get some of those reports and read 'em.

John,

I am sure you already know this since you just threw out the life expectancy of a roofing shingle to have a number for your report. 3 tab comp. asphalt shingles typically have a 20-25 year life expectancy and architectural comp. shingles can run 25-50 years depending on the shingle. - just an FYI. One part of determining whether there is life left in the comp. roofing is checking for the shingles flexibility by bending a corner (if it snaps.. no good unless it is better cold outside). Keep in mind that I am in OR and there may be regional differences. I am sure someone will jump in if this is the case.

Brandon, earlier someone stated and error in that I listed modified bitumen in conjunction with a hip roof. Does the modified bitumen have a 15 yr life expectancy? That might be where that comment came from. In error combined with the modified bitumen. I need to add asphalt shingles to the step list and tag a default comment of 20-25 yrs life expectancy. Another good catch. another good example showing that I have yet to learn, an while software can simplify my report writing, I should not always trust it.

Originally posted by Neal Lewis

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Suit yourself, but please consider this: Name one high-class, reputable publication that regularly has red text in it. WJ

SOS, should a home inspection report be written in the same manner as a high-class, reputable publication?

Well, surely no right-thinking HI wants to be low-class and disreputable.

To the extent that an HI report should have correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, and no logical breakdowns, it should be at the level of a reputable publication. It should be readable, useful and worthy of the reader's time. An HI report should also look good, and make sense. Many don't.

An HI report, like a published newspaper or magazine article, should be fact-checked. I've seen dozens -- if not hundreds -- of HI reports that were just full of bad, wrong information that could have been corrected with just one phone call.

Would you read and trust, say, JLC and FHB if they were written at the level of the average HI report? I wouldn't.

I think the writer of an HI report should have basic language skills (let's say 8th-grade level) that will let him communicate effectively. That's slightly above USA Today level, and I think good enough for HI work. If a writer slips below the USA Today level, he's pretty much a boob, and nobody should take his writing seriously.

Simply put, an HI report shouldn't just reach the level of a high-class, reputable publication. It should be a high-class reputable publication. Otherwise, it'll be nothing more than a big sloppy mess, created by a careless, undereducated worker -- very much like the brick veneer that's being installed these days.

Thanks for asking,

WJ

Originally posted by AHI

Brandon, earlier someone stated and error in that I listed modified bitumen in conjunction with a hip roof. Does the modified bitumen have a 15 yr life expectancy? That might be where that comment came from. In error combined with the modified bitumen. I need to add asphalt shingles to the step list and tag a default comment of 20-25 yrs life expectancy. Another good catch. another good example showing that I have yet to learn, an while software can simplify my report writing, I should not always trust it.

A few words of advice. Do not try to write a home insepction inspection program. You need to know a great deal more about the profession and the items that you will be inspecting.

As a new inspector, I would invest in a home inspection software program. Even with all of the bad verbiage that they are full of, it will be better than what you can write. Look at 3D, the Home Gauge product, Inspectit, and a few others that are on the market. Expect to pay around $1000 for a good package.

I will take some of the advice form those who participated in this thread. I will make some changes and try something different maybe. I will construct another report and post the link here for review. A few of the changes I need to do before I post is adjusting my desktop software to allow me to convert the RTF to PDF and then I can insert pics without a ridiculous file size and hopefully get rid of the grid lines. BTW those grid lines do not show up on hardcopy printout. I am going to edit out exclamation points and any "all caps" typing. Maybe I will try a narrative approach. I am not looking for a perfect report. With so many opinions involved I could never expect that. I am looking for improvements, and that is what I will strive for. A general consensus of those on this forum, that improvements were made. Thanks to everyone for your time.

One question. Suppose I do identify what I truely believe is a hazard. Lets say a fire hazard. Is it really unprofessional to use the words "fire hazard" to identify a fire hazard? Wouldnt anyone having a stake in the property, either seller or buyer want to know that?

It might take a while for me to get my next sample up. For now I need to put down the PDA and pick up the training materials and books to prepare for upcomming classes.

John,

I like your sense of humor! Gotta tell you I have never thought of the above posters as a gang. Gaggle? Maybe.

I reviewed the entire thread and found just a few suggestions and mostly everyone agreed with each other. So it seems everyone agrees!

There is another thread on this board that clearly illustrates why writing is soooooooo important. I am not a good writer, but I can write facts.

The information you received on this thread is worth a million bucks if you pay attention to it.

One question. Suppose I do identify what I truely believe is a hazard. Lets say a fire hazard. Is it really unprofessional to use the words "fire hazard" to identify a fire hazard? Wouldnt anyone having a stake in the property, either seller or buyer want to know that?

Well, since I addressed that in a curmudgeonly sort of way (mostly because I don't like red text, sorry), I'll take a swing at it.

There's nothing wrong with calling a hazard a hazard. If something's obviously a hazard, say so. But make sure you're right. If you note a trip hazard, for instance, make sure that the change in surface is actually identified by a reputable source as a trip hazard. It might be easier and more effective, though, to write something like, "In the front sidewalk, there's a spot just in front of the stairs where the walk has lifted about a half inch. That could cause a person to trip and fall. I recommend that you get the sidewalk fixed."

Simply put, I think customers will understand your writing best if you just say what's wrong, why it's wrong, and that it ought to be fixed. It's a whole lotta trouble looking up the definitions of various and sundry hazards.

While I'm thinking about it: Don't tell people that anything is "required" (unless it really is required by law) or "illegal" (unless you have documentation to back that up. Oh, and very few things are actually "necessary."

Next to last thing: I haven't written an HI report in a year, but last time I thought about creating a new reporting template, I was thinking that one could create a pretty good simple report with something like this, which might work well for a new HI:

Problem: The furnace is old and rusty.

Analysis: "Care and feeding" of this furnace would likely be more expensive than getting a new furnace.

Recommendation: Get a new furnace. The sooner, the better.

I think a three-step approach like the above might just be fairly easy to write, and use as autotext. But don't go by me. I never tried it.

Final hint: Read everything Katen and Mitenbuler write. Write like they do.

WJ

Hi John,

I'll throw my pet peeve in since the gang has taken care of pretty much everything else. When you're writing sentences, use only complete sentences. Don't be lured into using a lot of choppy sentence fragments like this:

"Structural members are hidden, unable to visually inspect."

Sure, use single terms to identify "copper" as the wiring material, or to classify an issue however you choose, but when it's time for a sentence or two don't cop out to spare a few little words like...

"The structural members are hidden, and I was unable to visually inspect them."

Imagine that you will have to read aloud every sentence or paragraph you write to a room filled with 100 potential clients when the report is done. How long would it take to start feeling foolish while reading one stilted fragment after another? How many would want your services when it was over?

One other specific item I noticed was about ground fault protection. Don't "suggest" ground fault protection as an "upgrade". Strongly recommend it as a basic electrical safety item that's been standard for decades, or just flat tell them they should have it done. If they ignore you, so be it; you told 'em. And about this sentence:

"Based on age of house required GFCI locations are kitchen, exteriors, bathrooms and garage."

The age of the house has nothing to do with what locations the protection should be at, unless you work for the local AHJ (city or county code inspectors).

Yeah it needs a lot of work, but we've all been there. You're doing the right thing by sticking your neck out here before you do it out there. Get the best on-site training you can find and keep coming back.

That red text was just for you Walter. [:-dev3]

Brian G.

"The man who hides his ignorance gets to keep it." Me [:-graduat

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

When I make recommendations for upgrades (when I know it was not required at the time of the inspection), I will write ... recommended safety upgrade, or recommended energy efficiency upgrade-- etc. ---just my way of doing things.

To each his own, but you'll burn in hell if you write that way. [:-dev3]

Brian G.

A Born Southerner, Therefore an Expert on What People Burn In Hell For [^]

I will enhance the comments. I will write as if I were talking to a person directly. Keeping that in mind I can see how it can produce a better result in writing. I am glad I started this thread as it has been very helpful to me. My goal is to succeed in business by providing an accurate and useful service for a fair compensation in return. My intentions are to do nothing less.

There are no mirrors in Brian G's home.

Kurt, This would be a good place, if you care to, throw out the comic book idea. Since I first heard that from you, I have been working on a similiar idea and used your phrase a million times. I have found the first time home buyer really likes the basic idea. The captions still must be written correctly. Brian, should that sentence be "must still" or "still must"? Maybe just scrape the stuff off the copper coil.

Originally posted by Les

The captions still must be written correctly. Brian, should that sentence be "must still" or "still must"?

I'd say it's fine either way, but you might bounce it off Bonnie to be sure.

"No mirrors" in my house? Are you saying I'm too ugly to stand looking at my own face Les? [:-paperba

Brian G.

Not That I'm Arguing [:-cyclops

Originally posted by Les

Kurt, This would be a good place, if you care to, throw out the comic book idea.

Well, it's something that has worked out for me better than I'd ever imagined. But, it's not what I want to promote to the mass audience @ this time; there are a few hiccups and specifics that need ironing out.

It's particularly good for condominium PRC's. It's also been remarkable for this large medical clinic gig I'm finally completing. It is the perfect way to communicate the building's story to Board's, committees, or groups.

We should yak this concept out in person, my friend. It is a very cool way report method.