Shall We Have Another Weight-Off?

hausdok

Mike,

I like the journal you set up for us. Please send me the code so I can edit it.

mmustola@aol.com

I am 5'11'' and 200 pounds. At one time I was at 225 and got down to 180 counting weight watcher points. I think I will go that route again and your log will help me keep track of it. With other people watching, I think it will help me keep on track.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Okay Brian, I eliminated your journal. Mark, I misspoke. You don't need a code. Just go to your journal, click on the edit icon and you should be able to continue adding to it until we're done with this thing. If you tried and it didn't work; try again. I've fixed it now. I'm also going to lock those so that nobody can respond to them. That'll force us to come out here to chat.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Ok, here's an obvious question. I've never counted a calorie in my life. How do I go about determining how many calories a meal contains? Is there some sort of pocket guide out there?

For instance, before my first inspection tomorrow, when I stop for my typical breakfast of a tray of fried chicken gizzards, how do I determine the number of calories to put down?

- Jim in Oregon

You don't really need to even try, Jim. Get used to viewing your food in "exchanges." I'll have to go over to the storage locker to find the exchange guide that the dietitian set out for me in the 80's, but it might be available by googling it.

Basically, you want to set up a combination of exchanges for every meal. Once you understand what they are, don't even worry about the calorie counting.

From memory:

Breakfast was supposed to be 1 exchange of meat, 2 of fiber, 1 dairy, 2 fruit.

Example: 1 hardboiled egg or an ounce of meat was an exchange of meat; an English muffin was 2 exchanges of fiber; a half cup of yogurt or 1/2 cup of milk was 1 exchange of dairy; a half an apple, orange or banana was one exchange of fruit.

Lunch was 3 of meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fruit, 1 fiber, 1 dairy.

Example: 3 ounces of meat or fish; a full cup (8 ounces) of vegetables; a full cup (8 ounces) of fruit; a slice of whole wheat toast; a half glass of milk or some yogurt or ice cream.

Dinner was 3 meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fruit, 2 fiber, 1 dairy.

Example: 3 ounces of meat or fish; a full cup of vegetables; a full cup of fruit, a slice of bread, 3 Triskets, a glass of milk.

A half hour before every meal, drink a couple tall glasses of water. It takes about half an hour for your stomach to decide that it's full. If you do this, by the time you eat that reduced calorie meal your stomach is telling you it isn't really that hungry, so you don't walk away from the table wanting to eat more. You also have to be very strict about making sure that you eat those 3 meals a day. When I did that, I wasn't used to eating 3 small meals. I'd pig out for breakfast and dinner but would have a coffee for lunch. When I got used to doing this, I found that I felt like I was eating too much by eating 3 times a day and I was actually eating less than half (total) of what I'd previously been eating.

Google "diet exchanges" and I bet you find some kind of guide to how to figure food exchanges. Once you get used to it, and kick the full-stomach pouch habit (It takes a few days before the craving settles down.) it becomes second nature.

Of course, you could always try what Howard Sterns' sidekick, Robin Quivers, has been doing - the Martha Vineyards Diet Detox Diet. I dunno, doesn't sound very appetizing to me. I'm guessing that with my IBS if I try it I'd end up spending 16 hours of every day in the throne room:

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2007/06/2 ... possi.html

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Jim, the Weight Watcher program has excellent resources.

Yes, they do have a little guide that lists pretty much every food you can think and the related calories.

Trouble is, I don't think the info. is available to the general public--you have to sign up for their program and then you get access to all the materials.

I was fortunate because my wife signed up and I got to use all the materials!

It really is a great program, especially for a man; you know, our general competitive nature and all. You're allotted a certain number of points and that's what you get for the day.

You can use all the points for your tray of gizzards in the a.m., or like I did, save all the points for a nice din-din and dessert at the end of the day. I wanted to beat the points!

I lost 17 lbs in the last 6 weeks without even trying. My Method:

1) tear off and re-roof two homes and a barn totaling 110 square

2) install 30 odd square of fiber cement

3) install 4 windows, a double french door, a transom and two entry doors

4) build small addition

5) help a curbing crew install 900 linear feet of curb in 95 plus degree heat

6)mulch 6,200 linear feet of blueberries three feet wide

7)build retaining walls distribute and compact 40,000 lbs of crusher run and lay pavers for raised patio.

Now, I didn't do all this alone. I just spent 12 hours a day doing it.

Okay,

I've been packing on all of my last-minute junk today. I just came back from Kidd's with a huge mushroom burger, a malt, fried onions and some mushrooms. I'm guessing there's about 1500 calories in this meal and I probably did close to 3,000 earlier today. That'll be the last time I get to pig-out for the next 55 days. Tomorrow I have to get down to some serious diet and exercise.

I'm gonna leave you dudes in the dust!....tomorrow that is.

Ummmm, buuurrrrrgggeeer; muuussssshrrrooms, oonioooonnnnnn rriinnnngggggggsssss, maaaallllllt....Urp!!!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Well, I must admit that I lost 15 pounds over 5 weeks when my foot was in a cast back in May and early June! It is amazing what pain pills and being depressed will do to ones appetite!

Say Marge, have you heard about that new "Patterson" diet?! Lose 3 pounds a week with no exercise!!! [-crzwom]

Brian G.

Coming Soon; Scott "The Millionaire" Patterson [:-tophat]

Hi Scott,

Well, what Phillip describes happening to him used to happen a lot to me and my co-workers on holidays when I was a cop. We'd get phone calls from folks asking us to stop by and help them finish off the stuff they had left over, or someone would walk in the PMO with a huge pile of food and leave it for the shift.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yeah Mike, that wasn't very nice, was it?

I would have liked to join you guys in the weight-off, but I have to maintain the weight I have for business reasons: I've developed a new concept for a unique eatery franchise and I'm the spokesmodel. What do you think? http://www2.enter.net/photoalbum/data/natan/120301.jpg

Seriously though, I'd love to join the group, but I know I wouldn't have the discipline. At 6'0" and 265 pounds, I definitely should lose weight. The problem is that I REALLY like to eat. BTW, I wasn't kidding about the sausage sandwich and potato salad bedtime snack.

Seeing my dad drop dead from a heart attack when I was 13 should probably be enough of a motivator, but it's not.

You guys have my admiration for doing this. Good luck to you all.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Well, speaking for myself, the weight off was a bust. I lost a grand total of 8 pounds and that was what I lost in the first 7 to 10 days when things were slow here and I actually managed to find time to get on the NordickTrack at night. Scott's down practically double what I am, so it wasn't a totally wasted summer. How'd the rest of you do?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike