do you write up secondary sink drain- can't keep u

CheckItOut

P?

I have been filling sinks and seeing if water will overflow or if the secondary/overflow drain will keep up. This would depend on GPH and vary house to house so I don't know if I am being unrealistic or not. Some are obviously blocked, some are working but the sink will still overflow. What do you guys do? Thanks a lot!!!

Originally posted by CheckItOut

P?

I have been filling sinks and seeing if water will overflow or if the secondary/overflow drain will keep up. This would depend on GPH and vary house to house so I don't know if I am being unrealistic or not. Some are obviously blocked, some are working but the sink will still overflow. What do you guys do? Thanks a lot!!!

I do the same as you. If it's blocked, I tell folks to have it cleared. If it's slow because it's just a teeny hole, I tell them not to overfill the sink.

I rarely waste more than a sentence on this trivial issue.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I don't do anything. Lots of sinks don't have overflows at all.

I don't fill tubs either. Someday it may bite me, but it never has in 22 years (which, of course, doesn't prove anything). I guess I'm just not that worried about someone hating me because they let the sink overflow.

Should I be checking the overflows?

Originally posted by kurt

I don't fill tubs either. Someday it may bite me, but it never has in 22 years (which, of course, doesn't prove anything). I guess I'm just not that worried about someone hating me because they let the sink overflow.

I don't fill sinks and tubs to the rim, but I do "divert" water into the overflows to check for leaks.

When the bathroom sinks are those cheap stamped steel enamal-coated sinks, I fill them up to where water runs into the overflow sluice and then I release the plunger. About 50% of the time, the welds that hold the sluice to the underside of the basin have rusted through and they leak like a sieve.

OT - OF!!!

M.

A few weeks ago I filled a jetted tub, in a new construction, ran it, and drained it. When I went down into unfinished basement there was 20+ gal of water on the floor. The plumber forgot to glue a section of the pvc drain.

"Sluice" I lways just called it the overflow hole thingy.

Originally posted by kurt

I never did. Why would I want to divert water into a blind hole and have it spill into the dining room ceiling?

If somebody's going to discover a defect with the backup drain, let it be the homeowner who (dumbassedly) overfilled the sink/tub.

My decision was based on the fact that in my whole life as a sink/tub user, I never overflowed the sink/tub.

WJ