winter light

Hi Chad,

Those are some pretty kewl pictures and they left me wistfully remembering the winters growing up in upstate New York. My wife can't understand why I'd like to move back there - she can't stand any climate where it gets less than about 40°F more than one or two days a year but I miss those winters a lot sometimes. There's just something about small town living in snow country that's appealing to me.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Ok Chad, where are the vegetables from that garden?? I laughed out loud when I saw the "machine" at the left side of one photo!

I guess another year went by and the facia didn't get painted.

Is that an Artesian well?

I'd trade you in a minute if I were a younger man!

That "light" used to be quite common when I lived on the island in the middle of Lake Michigan. There were times when I really did feel like God had just left the area and forgot to turn off the light.

Chad,

Isn't that the boiler that you welded up in the garage and showed us photos of a couple of years ago? How is that working out for you? Is it located in an outbuilding? If so, how far away from the main house and what kind of circulators and controls are you using?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Chad,

Isn't that the boiler that you welded up in the garage and showed us photos of a couple of years ago? How is that working out for you? Is it located in an outbuilding? If so, how far away from the main house and what kind of circulators and controls are you using?

Yeah, I finally got it installed. I put a basement under my barn and 40 yards of concrete later my boiler has a home.

It's about 150 feet from the heat exchanger (giant A coil from a military climate control trailer) that's in the return air plenum of my furnace. It's piped with 1 inch pex and circulated by a 1/6 hp Bell and Gosset. I control interior temps by controlling combustion air and water temp. The furnace blower runs all the time.

First the hot water runs through a water to water heat exchanger for domestic use. It produces about 7 gpm and the water coming out is within 10 degrees of the boiler temp which is usually around 130F.

I have a sign in my field that says "Tree surgeons! Dump your chips and wood here!" and they do.

It saves about 3500 a year. The house doesn't heat easy.

Next year I'm gutting the whole first floor of the house... the second floor will be done by spring. When we gut I'll install radiant for the second floor and radiators on the first floor and eliminate the forced air set up.

The picture of the fire is after a 14 hour burn. I burn about 1-1/2 face cord a week.

Image Insert:

20082215324_DSCF0006.jpg

49.73 KB

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Next year I'm gutting the whole first floor of the house... the second floor will be done by spring. When we gut I'll install radiant for the second floor and radiators on the first floor and eliminate the forced air set up.

Why not in-floor radiant on the first floor as well?