Finding furnace age

jodil

Well if you think -25 below zero with a -50

below windchill is cold, then yes.. its cold. But life is good. Our real estate market is great, our economy is strong driven by good farming and an oil boom. And yes, I DO plan on staying in the business, regardless of if its a lonely business being a girl! When I put my mind to do something I do it 150%.

jodi

Originally posted by Erby

You've taken the best step just by being here and asking questions. Don't forget to read the archives. Lot's of good stuff there that'll never be repeated.

And the library offers some good reading material.

Be the hammer!

Originally posted by jodil

. . . And yes, I DO plan on staying in the business, regardless of if its a lonely business being a girl! When I put my mind to do something I do it 150%.

jodi

With only two competitors, it sound's like a lonely business regardless of gender. (BTW, in the Portland area, we have 4 female home inspectors at last count.)

Really, the best thing you can do is get together with those guys, develop a cordial relationship and start comparing notes. From there the three of you can set goals that will improve all of your businesses. If you do this, I predict that five years from now you'll look back and realize that it was one of the best business decisions your ever made.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

While I generally agree with Walter says about being able to recognize furnace age, there are a few that are pretty difficult to tell. Trane and Thermo-Pride are two; the Trane's because for over 20 years the color scheme or basic appearance has changed very, very little and the Thermo-Prides because they look the same now as they did 30 years ago and the only way to get the age is to call the manufacturer and give them the serial number.

The chart below should help. It's the chart that Jim talked about but I've recently updated it.

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif FURNACE AGE CHART.doc

35.3�KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Any idea how American Standard does their date codes for furnaces? I ran across one today and I don't have them listed in my chart, nor was it in the one attached in this post. Anyone?

The home was only 4 years old, so guessing that one was not tough, but having their info would help for next time.

Originally posted by msteger

Any idea how American Standard does their date codes for furnaces? I ran across one today and I don't have them listed in my chart, nor was it in the one attached in this post. Anyone?

The home was only 4 years old, so guessing that one was not tough, but having their info would help for next time.

Same as Trane.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

9 of 10 times you can cross reference the serial numbers manufacture date with the ansi spec date, for instance a m97 01 xxxxx could be a 1997 or 2001, very close, if you cross the serial with the ansi spec date, ex. ansi 2000 xxxxx, you have just determined it is a 2001 by process of elimination. ansi specs change about every 4 years by my experience.

• 2 years later...

Haven't seen Jodi around here for awhile. Anyone know if she's still in business?

Stats show Ms. Lindberg's last visit to TIJ was Oct 22, 2009. She is not listed as a ND registered HI as of Aug 29, 2011. http://www.nd.gov/sos/forms/pdf/home-inspectors.pdf

Since the start of the real estate "adjustment", I've found that the last ones in were the first ones out.