Minivan Battery Question

Steven Hockstein

OK, I know this is a home inspection website but I am hoping someone can give me an answer this for me.

My wife is driving a 3.5 year old Honda Minivan and the plan is to replace it this summer. She was at the dealer for an oil change yesterday and the mechanic (Salesman?) told her that her battery is "Low" and needs to be replaced.

The little green indicator on the sealed battery is fine. Not that I want to jinx myself, but the battery has never been an issue.

Any advice?

3.5 years in a Honda? Give me a break! I haven't toasted a battery in less than 6 years in 2-1/2 decades.

Do Hondas still have Nippondenso alternators? If so, he's fishing for a sale; those are very reliable and so aren't the Japanese batteries.

If you'd been driving, he wouldn't have said a thing.

Make sure your electrolyte levels are up to par, clean your battery posts, ensure your belt is tight and you'll be fine.

OT - OF!!!

M.

You're probably fine, as Mike said. Batteries can fail at any time, but it's BS to say one is "low" and claim it needs to be replaced. Your alternator constantly recharges it, after all. If it's not, you're ammeter or idiot light will let you know. I haven't replaced a battery less than 5 years old in the last 15 years or so.

I actually had a mechanic from an AAA certified shop tell me recently that my antifreeze Ph was 7.2 and was "acidic", and would "eat away my cooling system". I politely advised him that I remembered high school chemistry... seven was neutral, and only a number BELOW that was acidic. He only looked confused and repeated his statement.

FYI the green eye gizmo is a just a hydrometer. The ball floats and turns the eye green if the specific gravity of the electrolyte is around 1.175 which indicates a sufficient state of charge.

The problem with the ball is that it only reports the condition of one cell. The other five cells can be dead shorted with the battery producing only a couple volts and the ball will be floating and the "light" will be green.

A load test is the only defensible battery test but leaving your lights on for thirty minutes to an hour and then seeing if your car will start is also a pretty good indicator. Many of the newer cars start so easily that they only draw the 'surface" charge from the battery and there never seems to be a problem until one day it just won't go. Reserve capacity counts.

I just changed out the original battery in my wife's 1995 Subaru. It wasn't bad but i was getting nervous. I put it in my farm truck which I only use about once a week and it's still starting.

I just replaced my wife's car battery and my truck battery. Both were cooked by the heat from this past summer. My truck had an Interstate and the wife's car had one from Auto Zone. They could not handle the cold weather starts any longer. They worked great when it was warm but once it got down to freezing they struggled to start the engine. Both were about four years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Th old rule of thumb before the mega battery trend was 1 CCA per cubic inch, so unless your mini van is sportin a fully blown 7.4 litre rat V-8 you should be fine.

Chances are if it still has 448 CCA then the reserve is also still adequate. It's possible to have good CCA and dismal reserve but it's not the most common failure.