flashing

John Dirks Jr

I see it done this way these days. We all know it could be better. Obviously the flashing is not let into the brick or mortar. I also see step flashings that are not let into the mortar.

Is a step flashing that is not let into mortar joints any better than the one pictured?

Image Insert:

200842153726_flashing.jpg

117.02 KB

• 2 weeks later...

My bad, probably a little snippy for my first post here but I've been hanging around and feel I know some of you guys. I do know Chad and his, shall we say, fondness for proper terminology.

"Step flashing" in the local jargon would be woven into courses of shingles of some kind or other that is then covered on the vertical side by either the siding or a counter flashing or both. In any event, the proper technique for John's post would be for a continuous flashing from the wall onto the waterproof membrane under the metal, a bead of approved sealant, the metal roof panel, a bead of approved sealant, another continuous flashing, and a counter flashing that is cut into the brick. What he has is a sloppy metal roof-over that is unfortunately all too common.

Tom

To "sort of" answer the question.

I don't think so. There would be less metal to heat and expand, but also less metal to counter act said expansion. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Mainly just for looks.

And there would be less confusion if the "step flashing" of "local jargon" was referred to by it's traditional name, "soaker flashing" or just "soakers".

Does that help?[:-crazy]

Originally posted by drcr

. . . And there would be less confusion if the "step flashing" of "local jargon" was referred to by it's traditional name, "soaker flashing" or just "soakers".

Never heard them called soakers or soaker flashing before. I believe that the NRCA uses the term step flashing.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

You are right Jim.

The NRCA does use the term "step flashing". As well as "base flashing" and "baby tins".

They further confuse the point by stating ;

D.Cap Flashings (counterflashings)

3. " Flashing hooks should be used to secure step flashings, and the vertical legs of the flashing should be secured with roofer's cement colored to match the masonry. Soldering of step flashings is recommended." Obviously referring to "stepped counter flashing".

I guess I was going back aways for "soakers". It's still used in the UK. Maybe less confusion over there. (yeah right)[:D]