Universal Sales Systems, Inc.

sepefrio

http://www.universalsalessystems.com/

I have been invited to sponsor a training seminar for the mortgage and Realty communities. The cost is is under $1000, I would be the only HI there, get an 8 foot table and can put any promotional materials there that I want. I will also get to give a 5-10 minute introduction of myself. So far they have 60 confirmed attendees.

I got this invitation through my lawyer, who is also attending (he does closings) and he says there are completely legit. I see some goods things about this company doing the training on the net.

Here's the question. For an HI still trying to get his name out there and recognized, do you think this is a good opportunity for the cost. Figure, it's not just the $1000 to sponsor it, but I'll need to get more promotional items too.

What ya think? Would you do it?

Originally posted by sepefrio

http://www.universalsalessystems.com/

I have been invited to sponsor a training seminar for the mortgage and Realty communities. The cost is is under $1000, I would be the only HI there, get an 8 foot table and can put any promotional materials there that I want. I will also get to give a 5-10 minute introduction of myself. So far they have 60 confirmed attendees.

I got this invitation through my lawyer, who is also attending (he does closings) and he says there are completely legit. I see some goods things about this company doing the training on the net.

Here's the question. For an HI still trying to get his name out there and recognized, do you think this is a good opportunity for the cost. Figure, it's not just the $1000 to sponsor it, but I'll need to get more promotional items too.

They want you to pay them to teach them stuff?

Why shouldn't you get paid? For $1K, you could create and distribute newsletters, or get your truck detailed five times.

Speaking just for myself, if I'm going to work, I'm going to get paid.

WJid="blue">

I wouldn't have a problem doing something like that, provided I didn't have to pay $1,000. I have given enough realtor presentations to tell you that, unless you are a smooth talking-closer friendly inspector, you will most likely not do as well as you think.

I am not against giving presentations and such to others as a promotion for you business, but I doubt that it would be worth the the $1200-1300 that I would end up spending if I were in that position. I know that 4-5 inspections would recover that expense, but I just haven't had much success and wouldn't do more than donuts or maybe pizza.

Originally posted by sepefrio

For an HI still trying to get his name out there and recognized, do you think this is a good opportunity for the cost.

Nope.

I think it's a sucker shot, and I wouldn't do it.

I get approx. 11 invites a year to pay to "teach" the evil empire or to be "featured" in one of their magazines. It's a sucker shot. I know, because I've been suckered.

None of them really want anything to do with you. They don't. I don't care what they say. The few realtors that have a shred of ethics will find you just fine.

If 60-70 folks are attending, I'd be surprised if you got even 1% wanting to talk to you seriously. That's a little over half a person you're going to impress.

You'll hand out several hundred dollars worth of paper that will go to wrapping fish, or serving as floor mats in someone's Lexus.

Take the grand and do something creative. At minimum, get your business name on your car. Not some flaky magnetic sign; permanent well designed signage. It costs about $350.

Basic advertising 101. Don't group yourself in w/every other joker fluffing themselves to realtors. It's the strategy they teach @ the jury rigged HI vocational schools to provide bumwads for the economy.

You strike me as someone much smarter than that.

Although most of the comments probably still apply there is a point being missed. There are three parties involved.

Universal Sales Systems, Inc. is the training provider

mortgage and realty are the students

I would be one of the sponsors (money paid to Universal Sales Systems, Inc. not Realtors)

Oh, no point being missed.

It's just a variation on the same theme. In some ways, it's probably even worse.

What are you going to drag out of Universal Sales? Zilch. You're paying them to work, and they're not even a referral source.

The noob realtors that go to these things aren't going to send you any business. In fact, 95% of them aren't even going to be in the business next year. Simple arithmetic fact.

I'm not trying to sound all puffy know it all here. I've done these things. It gets you nothing. If you think it sounds good and it's different, go w/your gut. Maybe it is, but I'd bet my teeth it's not.

You would do much better in a good professional networking group. Many have exclusivity for each group. Some require a min of one referral per meeting. I know of one that will cost you a total of $1000 in a year, but those that belong say it's well worth it.

Rick

I was a member of our local networking organization, got alot of business from them. When I was a member, I would do a meet and greet with the big players in the group at their home and do a mini inspection, look in attic, panel off furnace, things like that. Then when the folks referred me, they all spoke highly of what I did. Great piece of marketing.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

1000 bucks buys four consecutive 1/4 page 3 color ads in the Pennysaver that serves the demographic I like to target.

$480 got me a year listing in the yellow book with an on-line listing with links to my web site. Currently #1 on the list when searching for Indianapolis Home Inspection, # 9 when searching for Indianapolis Home Inspector. For $1,000 I believe that I could have gotten guaranteed placement in the top 3, but I'm not disappointed in my position so far.

Yeah, I know that most people who use the yellow pages are price shopping, but it does give me visibility to those looking in the yellow book or on-line and 2 inspections/year would pay for it.

Originally posted by Michael Carson

.........I would do a meet and greet with the big players in the group at their home and do a mini inspection, look in attic, panel off furnace, things like that.

That's a cool idea. Folks get to see you in action.

That's 99% of the battle.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

1000 bucks buys four consecutive 1/4 page 3 color ads in the Pennysaver that serves the demographic I like to target.

Chad,

I thought you were targeting professionals. In my area that demographic doesn't read the pennysaver, except the one community that has the local paper in the same publication. Do you find that route a good investment?

BTW, I agree it is definately a better investment than the "seminar".

Tom

Hi Tom,

I like to target the second and third most expensive areas. Those folks are moving "up" and still read the Pennysavers.

As far as it being a good investment; as you probably know it's very difficult to quantify advertising dollars. Even though I ask everyone that calls, you don't really know if they picked your website or name because it sounded familiar.