radon test results

Ya gotta learn to Google, John.

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gen&8-305

Or you can go to the Maryland State General Assembly website

http://mlis.state.md.us

Click on the "Maryland Statues" which takes you further down the page to

http://mlis.state.md.us/#stat

Which has the link to the code but it is off the state website onto Michie/Lexis.

OR you can just call the MARYLAND RADON HOTLINE, 1-800-767-7236

Google is a wonderful thing if you learn how to use it!

Originally posted by pybarra

During a real estate tranactions you test either with active or passive devices. Continious Radon Monitors (CR or CRM) are active devices you only need one unless doing QA. Passive devices include carbon devices (AC,LS ...) and Electret Ion Chambers (ES or EL) and you ALWAYS use two devices for Real estate transactions.

If you follow EPA protocol now administered by NEHA-NRPP and NRSB or a state regulated protocol you use two passive devices 4/5 inches apart. This is the most important protocol that will keep you out of hot water if someone challenges the results.

John, Where did you get your devices? Rad Elec (EPERMS) ?

AHIS: Please review the following or OR call IEMA to explain it to you...

TITLE 32: ENERGY

CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY

SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION

PART 422 LICENSING OF RADON DETECTION AND MITIGATION SERVICES

SECTION 422.130 MEASUREMENT PROTOCOL

While not every state has different requirements, some do. So, with that being said, the above statement is false.

Here in New Jersey, you are allowed to use a single canister for testing. What's more, a continuous monitor only has to be deployed for 24 hours, not 48.

I have had this argument many, many times. I know what my state requirements are, so please don't say I'm wrong or the requirements are wrong/bad. It is what it is, and I follow those requirements (actually, I exceed the requirement, I only do a 24 hour test if there is a time limit, even then I will do a duplicate test).

So, just check your states laws and requirements before testing; it will keep you out of trouble.

Thanks Darren,

NJ has a strong radon program and thanks for pointing out the uniqueness of their program. In my post I will agree with you that not all states follow every aspect of this protocol. But there is a protocol that is followed. Regards.

While not every state has different requirements, some do. So, with that being said, the above statement is false.

Here in New Jersey, you are allowed to use a single canister for testing. What's more, a continuous monitor only has to be deployed for 24 hours, not 48.

I have had this argument many, many times. I know what my state requirements are, so please don't say I'm wrong or the requirements are wrong/bad. It is what it is, and I follow those requirements (actually, I exceed the requirement, I only do a 24 hour test if there is a time limit, even then I will do a duplicate test).

So, just check your states laws and requirements before testing; it will keep you out of trouble.

Last I knew you couldn't get radon training from an EPA approved vendor online. That may have changed, but I sort of doubt it. I took it from Auburn University at a site in Tennessee. It was a couple of days worth with a big ole' test at the end.

I'm not sure if you can get NRPP/NEHA certified without going through an EPA approved vendor. Does anyone know for sure?

Brian G.

Open Your Wallet & Turn Your Head [:-crazy]

John:

I think what you are looking for to get you started is certification as a:

Radon Measurment Provider (RMP) - Standard Services

NEHA-NRPP - National Environmental Health Association's National Radon Proficiency Program

http://www.radongas.org/radon_measureme ... ards.shtml

or

Radon Measurement Technician (RMT)

NRSB - National Radon Safety Board

http://nrsb.org/nrsb-s1.htm

Those are the basic certifications to get you started doing residetial radon measurement serivces.

Education providers must be accepted by whichever of those two bodies you want certification from.

Might also want to check out

AARST - American Association of Radon Scientists & Technologists

http://www.aarst.org/

That ought to be enough to get you going.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm also in the process of communicating with some MD State officials to make sure I move in the direction that gets me what I need.

MD 8-305 says, "After completion of round 6 of the United States Environmental Protection Agency's National Radon Measurement Proficiency Program, have all tests analyzed by a listed facility"

That's it. So whatever round 6 of the EPA NRPP is. You see, it doesn't say I have to be "listed" or "certified" etc, unless round 6 includes that, I don't know yet. What is standard in other states may not be here in Maryland. I need the bare minimum "requirement" to get started, not the "recommended".

There is much out there. It's easy to be lead in a direction that wont meet the "requirement" as it is written.

• 9 months later...

Well, I finally took the 16 hour radon measurement course and then followed up by passing the NEHA NRPP exam. Now I suppose its time to send my money to the NEHA to get listed.

Just thought I would float that out there since earlier in this thread it was uncovered that I was performing measurement services without the proper credentials.

I'm covered now. I learned some stuff I didn't know. I'll be able to answer the typical questions with more confidence now.

What the heck, got my 16 CEU requirement for this year knocked out too.

Congratulations John! That's not an easy test (for me at least). I miraculously passed it in 2001 and I'm glad I'll never have to take it again. In Pa, to keep your state DEP certification, once you pass the test, you only need to sit through 16 hours of CE every two years. Oh, and pay the recently nearly-doubled fee of $350. ....... Ouch.