Table saw hotdog. For you woodworkers.

The wife sent me this one.

Probably wouldn't have worked on the radial arm saw I ran across a finger many years back, and I'm real careful with all of my saws since then, but it is pretty amazing.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7-2CkC1iHg[/utube]

Not sure what the condition of the blade would be after but, trust me, better than a finger.

Originally posted by gtblum

It's a great idea for joe homeowner but, used improperly a table saw can send a 2x4 through a block wall and a 3/8 drill can break your wrist too.

Yep! I have at least two dozen different ways of maiming myself in my workshop. So far I've only actually utilized one of them, the radial arm saw, and that was twenty plus years ago. I got careless, got bit, and thus ended my admittedly weak challenge to Clapton's guitar prowess. Strangely, it actually helped my golf game. Must be the slightly weaker left grip. Sorry...I digress...

One bitten, twice shy! My cabinet grade table saw, used properly, is probably one of my safest tools (even without the blade guard). Push sticks and blocks, miters, sliding tables, numerous other jigs, as well as sensible "fear", keep my hands well clear of the blade.

I wasn't really touting the device, and wouldn't want it myself, but it is quite impressive in the video. I didn't realize it had been around for a while.

BTW...I see he was using a 60 tooth blade on that test. Seems like overkill. I find a good 40 tooth blade (I recommend a Forrest) gives me a clean enough cut on hotdogs that I no longer have to sand the ends before applying relish.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Originally posted by gtblum

Yep! I have at least two dozen different ways of maiming myself in my workshop. So far I've only actually utilized one of them, the radial arm saw, and that was twenty plus years ago. I got careless, got bit, and thus ended my admittedly weak challenge to Clapton's guitar prowess.

Hey, you can always go Keith Richards five-string.

WJid="blue">

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Richard,

I remember when they first came out with that blade brake thing years ago; now the company that developed that technology has their own brand of tablesaw.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I think that the device was more valuable when it was an add-on that you could install on your own tablesaw. I might have bought one then. Now, you have to buy the Sawstop tablesaw to get this feature. Ain't no way I'm going to trade in my old Walker Turner saw for that cheezy thing, safety stop or no safety stop.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I saw a live demo at last years IBS in Orlando. The new saw has a few safety features that would be difficult to achieve as a conversion kit: a computerized lockout key that prevents the saw from running if the break sensor is not functioning or is not installed as well as preventing accidental startup while changing blades or breaks, a system check to verify that the break will engage in the event of an accident (about a 2 second delay between hittting the switch and the saw starting), and it uses the blades momentum to drop the arbor (and the blade) below the table. It is a very impressive piece of technology that would be extremely useful for the guy who runs a tablesaw 8-10 hours a day, or for a high school shop class. It's kind of like an airbag on a bicycle for the rest of us.

Tom