Well, well...

Bill Kibbel

How did they dig those wells, Bill? Did they install wood shoring as they went down, then lay the stone from the bottom up? How did they get the stone down without killing the guy at the bottom?

That had to be one of the most hellish, terrifying jobs to be had.

In July, I had one on a back porch that was only covered by some boards. It had to be a good 40 feet deep.

Image Insert:

200891013139_well.jpg

127.57 KB

Originally posted by Inspectorjoe

How did they dig those wells, Bill? Did they install wood shoring as they went down, then lay the stone from the bottom up? How did they get the stone down without killing the guy at the bottom?

From what I've read/heard/seen is that only about the top 2 yards of the excavation have soil loose enough to require shoring. Below that, the virgin subsoil is usually well compacted and firm - short term. Horizontal shafts and trenches are more likely to fail than a round hole. I think there was more risk of livestock falling in than a cave-in.

Stones were likely delivered by the same bucket-and-rope used to haul out the excavated material. The depth was determined to be adequate when the inflow became greater than the ability to bail out.

I am guessing they did it before the house was built

Every dug well that I've seen under a house was due to a later addition being built over the well. It happens often with drilled wells too.