Feeder Height

Mike Lamb

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

This threaded conduit feeds a garage and is about 8' off the ground. Is there a height requirement?

I'm not anywhere near my code books so I might be missing something, but I can't recall any rule that would apply to the height of a feeder inside RMC. I'm pretty sure that the clearance requirements in article 230 apply only to service conductors, not feeders.

The only issue I can see is that the conduit isn't fastened within 3' of the junction box (or conduit body, or whatever it is) on the garage.

I'll be back in my office sometime Thursday. If I find a restriction, I'll let you know.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

Is that NM coming through the cornice under the box?! I usually see a set up like that run along the ground or under the stair nosing. It must have taken Joe Homeowner all weekend to do that, bet he's real proud of himself.

Tom

No. The raceway in the garage to that j-box was MC or AC. I can't tell the difference.

This is probably a common sense thing with the ht. If it seems too low, it probably is. 8' isn't too bad if it is soundly secured in pipe. My looks in the NEC and IRC also show hts. only for service which is usually open conductors.

In my original report, I flagged it as wrong because this was a new one for me. I have seen extension cord feeders for garages lower than 8'. I did note that an underground feed is best.

• 5 months later...