Restoring old stuff.

I figured since you guys know everything else, I might as well ask this question here. I got the below items recently and was wondering how I can clean them up/restore them without spending $100's at some guys shop. I got a lot more besides these so if I had a professional do it for me (assuming I knew anyone who did) it would be rather expensive. So, what ya think?

Click to View

20091419146_Iron.jpg

27.51 KB

Click to View

200914191418_MilkCan.jpg

25.11 KB

Click to View

200914191429_Pot.jpg

58.19 KB

I don't know if any of your items have any real collector value or not. If they do, you'll likely lower that value if you monkey around with the original finish. If ya make it look too new, it don't look old no more!

I'd recommend a light oiling or similar if needed to stop rust until you verify that they are or aren't particularly valuable. If they aren't worth much, there's always a wire wheel on a drill or a sandblaster.

Ahh these things are SUPREMELY valuable!

I got them for my wife who loves stuff like this and I have been allowed back in the bedroom ever since!

Only way this stuff gets sold off, is if I sell the wife with it and that's not....Hrmmm..no no I can't...but...NO!

Now I had an old cast iron pan once and I remember something about every so often to wipe it down with olive oil. Just don't want to mess these up or it's back to the sofa for me.

Seasoning a cast iron cooking vessel is normally done with crisco or similar products. The cast iron vessel is washed and dried. A light coating of solid shortening is applied and the vessel is heated to 200-250 degrees. The pores open in the iron and the absorb the shortening. When cooled, the iron is protected from rust.

If a cast iron vessel is used on a regular basis, the fats in the food cooked will continue to keep the pan seasoned. Do not use metal utensils because they can damage the seasoning of the vessel. Never use soap since it will leave a taste on the vessel. Instead boil water and use a plastic scraper.

If the seasoning coat is damaged, cast iron can be re-seasoned. If you find a rusted iron vessel, you can remove the rust and season. If you are just planning on keeping as decorative pieces, why bother?

Search on Dutch Oven or Seasoning Cast Iron