No Main Disconnect in Panel

blazenut

I do have a picture, but i only took one of the top of it where the main shut off should be. There were at least 10-12 total breakers. Can a main shut off be added outside of the panel? Or added to an existing panel? I forgot about the the 6 throw rule... How would you word this in a report?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009716215618_DSC00907.jpg

16.76 KB

Ok, after doing a little more research, i think it was a split bus panel. There were 6 large breakers at the top (dryer, heat pump, stove ect...) and then a smaller void before the smaller breakers below. Then below there was a 60 amp "main disconnect" breaker in the lower section. It was a 200 amp main service. So am i correct in saying that this was a split bus system, the 6 throw rule would work for the upper section, and the bottow was protected by this 60 amp breaker that was labeled "main disconnect"? Is this ok?

Most clients aren't going to understand if you put that on paper. The important thing would be to show the client how to shut off the power in case of emergency. Just call it what it is, 200 amp service panel. FYI, the most common brand I run into with this design from that year is a GE and they should have no more than 6 breakers(throws) at the top.

Ok, after doing a little more research, i think it was a split bus panel. There were 6 large breakers at the top (dryer, heat pump, stove ect...) and then a smaller void before the smaller breakers below. Then below there was a 60 amp "main disconnect" breaker in the lower section. It was a 200 amp main service. So am i correct in saying that this was a split bus system, the 6 throw rule would work for the upper section, and the bottow was protected by this 60 amp breaker that was labeled "main disconnect"? Is this ok?

Your description is a little off. The "main disconnect" should have been one of the top 6 breakers in the upper section. If so, then that's a classic split bus design that every panel manufacturer out there made.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If there are six breakers in the top split with a disconnect in the bottom split then it will take seven throws to sut off all the power. This is broken. The disconnect for the bottm split should be moved into the top split and one of the appliance circuits should be moved to the bottom split. That would fix it.

I would fix it myself if it were my house, but I wouldn't advise my client to do so.

Tom