Trying to draw up a contract to have lawyer bless.

Trying to draw up a contract to have a lawyer look over. Need a line about how the report, findings, discussions, etc is between me and client and is not to be re-used, sold, or any other third party ordeals... If I cant get soemthign figured out, I'll jst explain to him what I need then.

Thanks, as always, any comments are welcomed.

Matt

Matt,

Never tell your attorney what to write. Just tell her to write something that she can defend and is "legal".

I am of the strong opinion each inspector should have an individual contract. I have a multi-inspector firm and have seen the benefit of indiv contracts.

Talk to your atty! Talk to your atty! Talk to your atty! Do not listen to home inspectors!!!!

Matt,

Never tell your attorney what to write. Just tell her to write something that she can defend and is "legal".

I am of the strong opinion each inspector should have an individual contract. I have a multi-inspector firm and have seen the benefit of indiv contracts.

Talk to your atty! Talk to your atty! Talk to your atty! Do not listen to home inspectors!!!!

Hmmm.... I think I could invest some money for something to protect me and my family.

Thanks for the response

I got to say though, you sounded a little Inspectorphobic with that last line.. lol just kidding

• 4 months later...

This is the first paragraph of my agreement.

AGREEMENT: This Agreement is incorporated and included with the Inspection Report to be prepared by Inspector regarding the inspection of the subject premises. Said report is to be prepared for the sole and exclusive use of Client. Anyone executing this agreement on behalf of a buyer or seller of the subject premises certifies that he/she is duly authorized by Client to do so and is bound to deliver to Client the report incorporated herewith along with a copy of this agreement, which shall be binding on Client.

AGREEMENT: This Agreement is incorporated and included with the Inspection Report to be prepared by Inspector regarding the inspection of the subject premises. Said report is to be prepared for the sole and exclusive use of Client. Anyone executing this agreement on behalf of a buyer or seller of the subject premises certifies that he/she is duly authorized by Client to do so and is bound to deliver to Client the report incorporated herewith along with a copy of this agreement, which shall be binding on Client.

Wha, wha, what did that say? Do you think a statement like that can be defended?

Little old lady vrs home inspector; judge laughing out of his chair.

Chris, Oregon

Hi Morgan, Chris and Les have said it all.....

You need to keep in mind that Louisiana is unlike any other state in the Union; Napoleonic law is highly integrated into the legal system in the state so it is a must for an attorney to review and bless as you said everything....

The best agreements are the ones that are easy to read and understand. Good agreements protect your client and you the inspector. Take a look at what I use in TN, it also works well in MS with a little tweaking. It has been "blessed" and cussed by several attorneys and a judge over the years. Actually a US Federal judge helped me with a good part of the verbaige.

http://www.traceinspections.com/2009%20 ... EEMENT.pdf

It must the Alzheimers (Oldtimers) disease setting in; I can't understand this at all.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Our Organization (NJ-ALPHI) recently hired an attorney to develop a Pre-Inspection Agreement for the members to use as a guide to meet the NJ State requirements for a Pre-Inspection Agreement. The members all have to sign a hold harmless release if they use the agreeement and the members are advised to have their insurance company and/or company attorney review the contract before it is used.

• 2 weeks later...

I say let the lawyer write the agreement . If you want to give the lawyer a couple of sample ones as examples, fine, but if it comes to enforcing the agreement, the lawyer will have to do it so let the lawyer choose the tools. You wouldn't want the lawyer choosing your tools for you to do an inspection would ya?

Charlie

I'm with Charlie. Pull a few samples and let the lawyer do the rest.

That first paragraph of Morgan's sounds like it was written by a lawyer who used to be an engineer and then ran through a software translator from English to French and then back to English again. whoo!

-